Finally got some shop time in

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

and turned some new ones for me. I just want to prepare those of you that know me. These are B2B.[:0] Yes, I know, I never turn B2B... okay, I rarely turn B2B, but I often do on my first version of any pen and such was the case with these two. I also used a new finish for the first time (Minwax Polycrylic spray can... I think I'll stick to dipping lacquer). First is a gold El Grande RB in Macassar Ebony.

200681725824_elgrandeUGrb_macassar_ebony.jpg

And a gold Churchill RB in some of Darrick's (Chitswood) Letterwood (figureless Snakewood) that I plan to carry to test the finish. I don't know if his guarantee appplies to the Letterwood (and I'm not real worried about it), but both halves of this blank blew into 4 or 5 pieces while drilling. The strange part is that I drilled these both very slowly. I drilled about 1/4" at a time and let the blank rest for 10 minutes. I was about 3/4 through each when it blew. Luckily I found all the pieces and was able to glue them back together (almost seamlessly I might add).

20068173443_churchillUGrb_letterwood.jpg

For some reason the finish on the lower barrel almost looks blotchy up by the CB, but it is just as smoot as the rest. I have no explanation as to the cause. I'm still on the fence about these two kits. I'm not at all happy with the amount of plastic (even though there's less in the Churchill) in these pens, especially for what they cost. As always, thanks for looking and feel free to hammer away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Um, you really screwed those two up Billy! [:0][B)] You have 1/2 the parts of a Churchill on the El Grande and vice-versa. Attention to detail, sir![}:)]

Unless you planned it that way, lol. [:p][:D]

PenWorks

The ebony looks like cumberland ebonite it is so pretty.
Good glue up on the sankewood, can't see a thing except for the "blotch" [:D]
Never noticed the parts change either, till Ron mentioned it.

alamocdc

Thanks, John! I don't really think the plastic will pose problems, but it just feels cheap to me. I don't know if it's the type of plastic used, or maybe the thickness of it. It just doesn't "feel" the same as that used in some of my high end production pens. Equally disappointing is the cheap feel of the quite thin, stamped clip used on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom