Finally got another pen turned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobalouie76

bobalouie76

Hi all,
It feels like it has been ages since I turned a pen. First the motor on my drill press died, thats fixed. Then I picked up a "new" lathe and had to work on it a bit, thats mostly done. Now that those things are behind me, its back to making wood chips.

So when I first started turning pens and I showed them to my father, I could tell he was wondering "where is mine?" I haven't spent much time with my father as of late and decided rather than just giving him one of the pens I had turned already, I would have him come over and we could make some together. So this past Saturday he came over. We went to Woodcraft and he picked out a couple kits and a piece of acrylic for one and a wood blank from my "inventory". It was pretty late when we finished, so I don't have pics of those 2 pens yet (he is going to take some and email them to me, I will post them when I get them).

I had a chance to turn another one myself though. Hope you all like it, my best finish yet, though it doesn't really show in the pictures. It is a Platinum Navigator in Spalted Tamarid. Comments welcome!

Attachments

• php4W0z59AM.jpg
    php4W0z59AM.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 212
  • php6WV85AAM.jpg
    php6WV85AAM.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I like the Navigator. I've never made one, but it's a great kit. Nicely Done.

I look forward to seeing the ones your Father picked out.

CaptG

Well done and great choice of blank. The lower body is a bit "round" for my tastes, but every one has different preferences and I have had customers love the pens I did not like and dislike the ones I thought were great. Keep up the good work.

MobilMan

Nice pen Bob. And i agree, smart choice letting Dad work on his pen. You well know how proud a person is of their first, even if it turns to be the only one they make. And the time spent together is a big plus. My Grandson was 10 when he made his first out of maybe 6-8 of them. I don't remember what they were made of but still remember his working on it A his pride. One of my niece's was here this winter & started asking too many questions on pen making.. Now she knows first hand. Really enjoy teaching others.

bobalouie76

Thanks everyone!

It was GREAT spending the day with my dad! It felt good teaching him something for a change. :biggrin: I look forward to doing it again soon.

I think the photos make the pen look more round than it actually is. I agree maybe a little straighter would have been good too. I was afraid of losing some of the spalted section if I took more off.

Thanks for all your comments.

Still waiting for the pics from the old man.:rolleyes:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't care for the shape but can't deny the beauty of the blank and the finish appears to be very good as well. Congrats on the time spent with your Dad.

Top Bottom