Finally got 1 Pinecone Pen No Presure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

I finally got 1 pine cone pen made after several tries. It was supposed to be a closed end but broke off in the thick part of the cone just past the tube so I threw it in a box and said I was done with cones. Well today I dug it out and sanded to the tube and filled the jagged edge with mica and glue. Not what I hoped for color wise for but it worked. I do not have a pressure pot so these are just cast and hope for the best. I find they are very difficult to turn, just waiting for it to blow up. Any hoo I think it turned out just dandy after all the problems.
I left the clip the way it is in the pics because I was hoping to get input on where it should go. If I put it on the nicest side it covers most of the cool pine cone if I put it on the other size, well that side is boring. So you tell me where you would put it.
The final is turned out of a scrap the same color as the resin used in casting the cone. 10-12 coats Ca.Sanded then polished through all colors.
Thanks for looking.... Thanks for any help. any comments bad or good welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5321.jpg
    IMG_5321.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5322.jpg
    IMG_5322.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5323.jpg
    IMG_5323.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5320.jpg
    IMG_5320.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Have you tried using just the cores from those huginormous cones? Different effect, but all you gotta do is soak it with thin CA to stabilize. It'll be tough as nails, but really stable.

crabcreekind

Have you tried using just the cores from those huginormous cones? Different effect, but all you gotta do is soak it with thin CA to stabilize. It'll be tough as nails, but really stable.
Do you mean Banksia pods? i just made one with it. i didnt have any problems blowing up just the inlay kept coming out.

by the way the pen looks great

Drstrangefart

When you turn just the core with all the tabs cut off, you can and should soak it with thin CA. It soaks up quite a bit, especially if the cone is extremely dry. The material really just becomes a bonding surface for the CA at that point and they're super tough once stabilized. I try to glue tubes in before I soak mine.

ToddMR

Looks good, you did a fine job. As for clip placement, use it on the less interesting area, it will give that are something other than plainness imo. Then whoever uses the pen can fully appreciate the part that has more going on.

Top Bottom