Finally felt Ready....Faux Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Alright so after turning my first pen, I had the great idea to make faux cigar pens. Got really excited, then joined IAP, came across martin, and decided that that project needed to go on hold before I made a fool of myself. Know a cigar smoker or two, and collected bans awhile ago in hopes of making a pen for one one day. Recently grabed a few jr gent kits, and yesterday put this guys together. Claro Walnut closed ends with BEB ash. Ash done with a dremel and the engravers kit. Picked up the engravers kit for roughly $18 a while ago, finally came in handy. Took a culinary torch to the ash as it spun on the lathe, just to pick up the high points. Learned quite a bit with this guy, and honestly am fairly happy with the first attempt. Body and cap could meet a little better IMO, although it is super close. Gurkha lable is just tacked in place on the outside. For next time will use a higher quality kit, as I just had this on hand, and would hate to ruin an expensive kit with an experiment. Finished off with Friction Polish, which I hate, and will not do again. Great finish for bowls, yet cant successfully apply it to a pen for some reason! This will be a gift for the one who provided the label, he doesnt know I made it for him, yet hoping it will bring me a few more labels! Anyhow, hope you enjoy, C&C welcome, and hope i did a few people proud. Thanks Guys!

Attachments

• _MG_7353.jpg
    _MG_7353.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 506
  • _MG_7333.jpg
    _MG_7333.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 446
  • _MG_7360.jpg
    _MG_7360.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 421
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ragz

That's a great first attempt! In your first picture it may be an illusion but it looks like your fit is just a little off. Does it line up correctly at all the thread starts?

Really nice first faux cigar though!

Turned Around

that's a very good first attempt. By the way, Gurkha, good cigars.
Hope you enjoyed the smoke while appreciating your new work.

LL Woodworks

Alright so after turning my first pen, I had the great idea to make faux cigar pens. Got really excited, then joined IAP, came across martin, and decided that that project needed to go on hold before I made a fool of myself. Know a cigar smoker or two, and collected bans awhile ago in hopes of making a pen for one one day. Recently grabed a few jr gent kits, and yesterday put this guys together. Claro Walnut closed ends with BEB ash. Ash done with a dremel and the engravers kit. Picked up the engravers kit for roughly $18 a while ago, finally came in handy. Took a culinary torch to the ash as it spun on the lathe, just to pick up the high points. Learned quite a bit with this guy, and honestly am fairly happy with the first attempt. Body and cap could meet a little better IMO, although it is super close. Gurkha lable is just tacked in place on the outside. For next time will use a higher quality kit, as I just had this on hand, and would hate to ruin an expensive kit with an experiment. Finished off with Friction Polish, which I hate, and will not do again. Great finish for bowls, yet cant successfully apply it to a pen for some reason! This will be a gift for the one who provided the label, he doesnt know I made it for him, yet hoping it will bring me a few more labels! Anyhow, hope you enjoy, C&C welcome, and hope i did a few people proud. Thanks Guys!

Great 1st faux - and thanks for sharing the process; very interesting and challenging. Look forward to your next faux.

jmbaker79

That's a great first attempt! In your first picture it may be an illusion but it looks like your fit is just a little off. Does it line up correctly at all the thread starts?

Really nice first faux cigar though!

Thanks! It does look a little off in the first picture. it threads together fine, yet do feel that the fit could be a little better. Think my issue here the extra space in the cap to allow it to fit over the metal escutcheon that is on the body. Not sure it has quite enough room so it seems to want to bow a little right before it meets. perhaps will use a slightly larger bit for that next time. Didnt notice till it was assembled, and not sure I could take it apart if I had to. Dont think I could fix this one, yet the next should be spot on!

jmbaker79

Stunning.:good:
A cigar pen is on my bucket list, gotta have one.
Willing to give more details on the ash?
What is "BEB"?

Simply stunning........

Buckeye Burl....The ash is the best part as it is pretty freestyle, just have a go at it, pretty sure you cant mess it up!

jmbaker79

Thanks everyone for the C&C! Hoping to find some time today to make a 2nd attempt...now just have to go through the box and see what type of wood will look best!

Top Bottom