Finally. A Douglass Fir Burl - Done

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mark

Mark

I purchased the Burl, (Thanks Wolfdancer) sometime back and opted to let it dry for several months. Here is the first selection for the lot. It finished rather dark. I'm guessing due to the Mineral Spirits I used to wipe it down before sealing with CA.

Gold Zen RB wrapped in Douglass Fir Burl.

As always, all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Zen 007.jpg
    Zen 007.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Zen 007a.jpg
    Zen 007a.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Zen 007b.jpg
    Zen 007b.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I am liking that pen. Very nice job done on that one. The finish is nice and glossy, and the wood looks amazing.

Skye

Superb blank! I hope that means you have more of those left. You'll want to hang on to those blanks. I may have to look more closely at the Christmas Tree lot.

If you don't mind me saying, I think you've got some sanding lines in your finish. If you notice on your photo the major reflection that runs the pen, it's got a bunch of small vertical streaks in it. this is usually the reflection breaking up because of tiny scratches in the finish. If you don't already, make sure you sand along the mandrel, side to side, with the lathe stopped in between every grit of MM. You want the whole blank gray and ashy looking with no shiny vertical lines. Then, with the lathe on sand next grit, stop lathe, sand horizontally, then repeat with next grit.

Mark

Thanks all.

Skye, I don't mind at all. Thank you. I went back and looked again. Sure enough there were fine lines running around the pen. I took the EEE & wax and went length wise, now the lines run length wise. I'll need to look into something other than the EEE & Renaissance Wax combo. Thanks again.

I just picked up a 2 wheel buffing system from PSI. Time to try it out...

Skye

You'll like the buffing wheel system. Just make sure to keep one wheel as clean as possible, no wax or anything applied to the wheel. Oh, and it'll grab a pen and throw it across the room, so be careful lol

Top Bottom