Finally created an album

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Evan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Hi all,

I've finally uploaded two pictures of my first three pens. I still haven't browsed through all the albums. Very nice wood and ideas out there!

Since taking those pics, I have only made a Mont Blanc (cracked a bit) and a pencil.

Evan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Evan,
Three good looking pens! (and I didn't add "for a beginner") Looks like at the class you got a little more brave with shapes. That's good. Try lots of new ideas. You'll find a few you like and a few you don't care for, but that's the best way to learn. And feel free to ask lots of questions, I promise we won't laugh.<grin> And, of course, welcome to the group, glad to have you with us.

Keep up the good work,
txbob

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Makunouchi
<br />Hi all,

I've finally uploaded two pictures of my first three pens. I still haven't browsed through all the albums. Very nice wood and ideas out there!

Since taking those pics, I have only made a Mont Blanc (cracked a bit) and a pencil.

Evan

Wow; for your first pens, these are amazing. My first pens were simply an attempt to get close to the bushings. I bulged them a bit because I was afraid of making the wood too thin.

I like the bloodwood particularly, it seems to flow much better. You sanded to the bushings a bit better, and I just like bloodwood (also known as Cardinal Wood).

For some reason, I have some doubt about the other pen being Yellowheart. Yellowheart is usually fine grained like Bloodwood, and this seems to have some open grain. It actually looks a bit like Oak. Either way, they are some of the bravest newbie pens I have seen. I think you have some artistic talent. Keep filling the album, I will surely visit. Let us know when you update your album.

Tim

Evan

Thanks for the comments - I have lots to learn.

yes... the yellowheart one was quite an experiment... I think it falls into the latter category [:)]. I've only turned straight ones since then but will try out some more designs later... waiting for a large load of pen kits. And get ready for my questions. [:D]

We had 3 hours for the seminar... so there was plenty of time for instruction and turning two pens. It was fun considering I always wanted to try lathing. Plus we had the opportunity to use the Taig mini-lathe.

Are bloodwood and redheart the same type of wood?
I don't know much about wood yet, and was just told that those two were redheart and yellowheart... so I have no idea. I have trouble differentiating padauk and bloodwood... rosewood and wenge... so no clue on yellowheart vs oak - although wouldn't oak be heavier and harder to turn?

Anyhow, I've had a chance to look through a few more albums - all I can say is Wow. There are most likely so many more nice ones that haven't been photographed.

timdaleiden

Are bloodwood and redheart the same type of wood?
I don't know much about wood yet, and was just told that those two were redheart and yellowheart... so I have no idea. I have trouble differentiating padauk and bloodwood... rosewood and wenge... so no clue on yellowheart vs oak - although wouldn't oak be heavier and harder to turn?

Anyhow, I've had a chance to look through a few more albums - all I can say is Wow. There are most likely so many more nice ones that haven't been photographed.

[/quote]

Bloodwood and redheart are very different, though not until they have a finish on them. Bloodwood has much greater depth of grain. It is just prettier.

Oak is heavy, but it may be hard to tell with such small pieces. Yellowheart should be very Yellow when finished, and not so grainy. If you look at the main page of my album, you will see yellowheart, and redheart next to each other on the right side of the display stand. http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=197, or just check timdaleiden photo album.

It takes time to learn the many woods available, but they are all different, and have their own personalities...and smells, etc.

timdaleiden

If you look at the main page of my album, you will see yellowheart, and redheart next to each other on the right side of the display stand. http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=197, or just check timdaleiden photo album.

It takes time to learn the many woods available, but they are all different, and have their own personalities...and smells, etc.

[/quote]

That should have been Yellowheart and Bloodwood on the right side. Ooops. You see, it takes time. Redheart is in their somewhere....I think. [:)]

Daniel

I recently turned Yellowheart and oak in the smae stretch of pens. I havn't used alot of yellowheart so It may have been this particular piece. But it turned very amoothly and clean. it ws much easier to work with than Oak which is much grainer with pores atc. it it. almost a stringy feel to it. In fact it would shred if the tools where not really sharp. Yellowheart is now officially my sons favorite wood after he saw how smoothly it tunred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom