Finally after several tries.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BJohn

BJohn

After many tries I finally finished a pen using White & pink Colorado Alabaster.
The Alabaster is almost translucent so I reversed painted the blank with white paint. Unfortunately the pink lines and marbling does not show up that well. Should I have used a pink color paint or ?

The other pen is an Arkansas Razorback Inlay Novelty pen.

Any and all advise is welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.jpg
    DSCN1224.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN1230.jpg
    DSCN1230.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN1231.jpg
    DSCN1231.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Nicely done, John! Alabaster has a HUGE variety of densities and opacity, so it's not quite like acrylic in the sense that if you have to reverse paint 1 then you need to reverse paint them all. You have a baseline to work off of now, experimentation will be the only real way to answer your question.

BJohn

I have seen it else were about using gray. I have more of the stone so I will give it a shot along with the pink.

OZturner

Beautiful Alabaster Pen, John.
Now that all the dust has settled we can see, the result of your great effort.
Excellent Fit and Finish, and a great hardware choice.
Superb.
The Holly Razorback Insert, is also Excellent. Though please excuse me, I must admit I am more attracted to the Alabaster, due to it's complexity.
I would be most interested to hear the outcome of your painting results.
Congratulations.
Brian.

BJohn

Thanks Brian

If time permit's I will be starting new ones this weekend. I will use a light shade of pink and as Bob mentioned light gray.

The first one took four attempts, I think mainly because I had never turned Alabaster before and it is different then wood or even an acrylic. At least this particular piece was. Very fragile, turned nice but I had two blow outs in the sanding and polishing phases. A third got knocked off the kitchen counter and had a big chip knocked of the end.

Will Post them when I get them done.

Top Bottom