Filigree fountain one of a kind

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wayneis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

I added a larger photo, sorry about the quality as I'm trying some new software out.

I had a collector customer who wanted a filigree fountain Jr. Statesman with Afzilia Xlay so this is what I came up with a little help from a fellow turner.

Wayne

200531216567_Filigree%20Fountain%20Pen.jpg

200531216571_filigree%20fountain.jpg

2005312201448_filigreefountainII.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Wayne,
That looks SWEET! Nice job! Hopefully you'll be able to post the bigger pic Eagle requested/ i'd like to see how well the wood comes through the top. I've looked at the filigree kits a few times, and came close to giving them a try. This may just push me in that direction.

wayneis

You will have to combine a euro filigree with a Jr. Statesman to start out with. Them you will need to make a bushing for the pen top. What I did was took wallstreet bushings because they fit real good inside the pen top tube. Then I found a tube the right size that fit the tenon of the wallstreet bushings and cut a piece to make them longer. That enabled me to use the bushings intended for the euro filigree pen top. The thing that you have to be pretty carefull about is that you'll be turning the wood down very thin. Overall though the pen came out very good and I was pretty happy as was my customer. It's kind of a shame to cover up a nice piece of wood like that with the filigree but in order for the wood colors to match up there's no way around that. What I did though is took care that I used a piece for the top that didn't have as much grain pattern because it doesn't show through so much. Well I hope that helps.

Wayne

JimGo

Wayne,
Thanks for both the explanation and the extra picture...that really looks AWESOME!

BTW, I have some ideas for improvised kits like this, and purchased some Corian from Alice (elody) so I can turn some bushings of my own to use for reference. Just thought the same might be useful in case you want to try something like this again!

Deere41h

Wayne...Thanks for sharing your new creation with us. It really turned out great. Thanks also for the how to tips. Nice of you to share that with us.

wayneis

Thanks everyone. I was a little worried when I assembled the pen cap. That wood ends up so thin I was scarred that it might split or crack when parts were pressed in. In fact another tip, I used a wire gun cleaning brush and reamed the inside of the tubes out to reduce the pressure. Just do this step after you turn or your bushings will be to small and your blank will end up out of round. When I was doing it I thought about soaking a piece of veneer to get it pliable and gluing it to the blank because thats about how thin the wood ends up being.

Wayne

wayneis

Jim I think that now that its turned and the parts are pressed in that it'll be fine, what I was concerned about was that by pressing the parts in thats when it would crack. With the sealer and finish and the pressure of the filigree against it I think that its going to hold up.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom