Fiji blank, over paid...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Write Inc. Pens

Not bad for turning a $20 blank. After I bought the blank I saw some awesome blanks on here cheaper. I Regret buying the blank for $20 but I dont regret having the blank. When some sales go on again for these blanks on IAP I am sure to grab a few. Also, its my first Fountain pen... Have made rollerballs before but these are a bit addicting...
I have seen a lot better pens made but any advice would be great. Somewhat new a turning pens (turning for quite a few months) and constructive criticism is always welcome!! Thanks guys.

2011-04-02%2020.23.41.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Truly the IAP has some great offers and as noted...we ALL live and learn. The execution of this pen is elegant and a nice touch with the fountain tip. Keep turning

PenMan1

First, the pen is AWESOME!

Second, quit beating yourself up about price! If you focus everything on price, you'll never make another pen as great as this one.

Third, learn about value! Sometimes, the more expensive blank is the better blank. The goal you should be working toward is making the BEST pen you can make from the materials available. Focus more on "adding value" to the best materials available. Focusing on costs makes you a "cheap" pen maker, not a quality pen maker.

One more than one occasion, I have paid OVER $100 for blanks. I immediately sold those pens for OVER $500. I saw similar blanks for much less money, so I bought many. Those, unfortunately, are still in inventory.

I realize these are harsh words, and no disrespect is intended. Sell the pen knowing that you paid a premium for permium materails and made the product to the best of your abilities and move on...the past is the past. If you find quality as good as this for a lessor price, then buy those and adjust your price accordingly (if necessary, I wouldn't).

I sell a LOT of $100 bill pens, I found a blank (from the same producer) for less than I was paying here from a distributor. The blanks, even though the same guy made them, are not the same. I'll never make that mistake AGAIN!

Lastly, don't forget the ink! My experience is that "standard" refills write like those from Staples. Do everything that you can to put the very best ink in the pens you make, before they leave the nest. In my case, that means Heritance nibs on FP, along with PR cartridges. I Replace Hauser refills (I don't even buy components that use Hauser as "standard" anymore), and I EVEN replace Schmidt 888 roller balls with PR or Schmidt 5888 refills, because it makes me feel like I have made the very best pen that I can make.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

ctubbs

Great execution on the FP. I feel sorry for you that you made an FP so soon. Putting that pen to paper will spoil you for anything else. I made that mistake in December and now it is my daily carry. Just allow others to try your pen and watch their face light up. Your pen does justice to that beautiful blank. You put all the bushings on the correct place (not all of us do that all the time DAMHIKT) and the fit and finish is right on. Congratulations on a job well done.
Charles

wiset1

First, the pen is AWESOME!

Second, quit beating yourself up about price! If you focus everything on price, you'll never make another pen as great as this one.

Third, learn about value! Sometimes, the more expensive blank is the better blank. The goal you should be working toward is making the BEST pen you can make from the materials available. Focus more on "adding value" to the best materials available. Focusing on costs makes you a "cheap" pen maker, not a quality pen maker.

One more than one occasion, I have paid OVER $100 for a blank. I immediately sold those pens for $500. I saw similar blanks for much less money, so I bought many. Those, unfortunately are still in inventory.

I realize these are harsh words, and no disrespect is intended. Sell the pen knowing that you paid a premium for permium materails and made the product to the best of your abilities and move on...the past is the past. If you find quality as good as this for a lessor price, then buy those and adjust your price accordingly (if necessary, I wouldn't).

I sell a LOT of $100 bill pens, I found a blank (from the same producer) for less than I was paying here from a distributor. The blanks, even though the same guy made them, are not the same. I'll never make that mistake AGAIN!

Respectfully submitted.

Well said and worth remembering for all of us!

bitshird

Justin, like every one else has said don't think about the price, think about the fact that you have just made a darned nice fountain pen and did it with a set of components that aren't the easiest made to work with. and get some good ink for it before the stuff that comes with it is terrible and will foul your pen pretty quickly, Private Reserve, or Noodlers are both good inks, PR is most peoples favorite, Schmidt makes a decent blue ink cartridge and they are cheap about 7.50 for 30 cartridges. But being a Fountain PEN snob I like Private Reserve so I can match my ink color to my pen color, Seriously. !!!

Thank you everyone for your comments!! I appreciate it. Luckly I did not put any ink in it yet because I was not sure if I wanted to write with it right away or not. I have looked at Private Reserve Ink and Noodlers ink and I like them. I wanted to sell it but I am extremely tempted to keep and wet the tip for myself...
PenMan1, great advice, and it truly isn't about price, its about quality, and I am extremely happy with how it turned out.
I am keeping my eye out for sales on here too, better to buy IAP thank "commercialized" most of the time. Thanks all

Top Bottom