Figured Walnut Americana twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

This is the first pen I have made that I have turned from a log into a pen. The wood comes from a large forked stump that I got from a Walnut grower. I will probably give it to him as a present.

20041215141352_IM000084.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Thanks Fred I have to admit the figure looks even better in the picture than it does on the pen. Go figure usually it is the other way with my photos.

wayneis

Beautiful work, is that sap wood from the walnut? I don't think that I seen walnut so light colored. I'll bet that the photo does'nt do it justice. I always keep my eye's open for good wood with a mixture of the wood and sap wood because it adds so much to the looks.

Wayne

vick

Wayneis
The picture did turn out lighter than the wood really looks. However this walnut is very light in color I do not know if the fact I microwave dried it is the reason, or if the Walnut they use at the nut orchard is just lighter. The wood you see is actually the heart wood, but their is some sapwood on the other side of the pen. I will have to say this pen never got to the wood donator, it was gone before I saw his daughter today. If you are interested in a trade e-mail me. I have a bunch of mixed sapwood heartwood blanks, they are still a little wet though

Doghouse

Walnut oxodizes as it dries. That is what gives it the rich purple-brown color everyone loves. It will age and oxodize to a darker color as long as there is not a finish that will prevent further breathing of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom