Fiery Flows Custom FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

Back in the spring or early summer I made a pen with an imported acrylic called "Fiery Flows" from Exotic Blanks. I've been wanting to do another with this gorgeous material. I think you'll agree, it's well named--reminds me of a lava flow at night. So here's one of my favorite acrylics on one of my favorite styles, the Duofold.

The bands are aluminum. I now have silver, but I'm procrastinating for a number of reasons. Silver is much more difficult to punch with the die cutters, and if course it's expensive. My feeling is that silver will tarnish as readily as aluminum and both can be quickly shined up with a jewelry polishing cloth. And of course there's a weight savings with aluminum.

Overall length 5 1/4" (134 mm)
Cap posted 6 1/4" (158 mm)
Without cap 5" (126 mm)

Cap diameter 17 mm
Barrel diameter 15.5 mm
Section diameter 12.8 mm

Weight 27 gm

Cartridge/converter filling
#6 polished steel Meisternib

Thanks for looking.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fiery Flows Custom FP 004 (478x640).jpg
    Fiery Flows Custom FP 004 (478x640).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 523
  • Fiery Flows Custom FP 021 (640x476).jpg
    Fiery Flows Custom FP 021 (640x476).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 520
  • Fiery Flows Custom FP 022 (640x429).jpg
    Fiery Flows Custom FP 022 (640x429).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 530
  • Fiery Flows Custom F P 002 (Small).JPG
    Fiery Flows Custom F P 002 (Small).JPG
    69 KB · Views: 514
  • Fiery Flows Custom F P 004 (Small).JPG
    Fiery Flows Custom F P 004 (Small).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 502
  • Fiery Flows Custom F P 006 (Small).JPG
    Fiery Flows Custom F P 006 (Small).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Fiery Flows Custom F P 012 (Small).jpg
    Fiery Flows Custom F P 012 (Small).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 507
  • Fiery Flows Custom F P 019 (Small).JPG
    Fiery Flows Custom F P 019 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 537
  • Fiery Flows Custom F P 017 (Small).JPG
    Fiery Flows Custom F P 017 (Small).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 526
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Another nice pen Robert. You're right about the color. Really nice. I also intend to use up this aluminum stock I have.:wink:

Cabhog

Wow, that is one sweet pen! I have to ask how long have you been turning pens? I'm a newbie and need some time reference to judge where I think my skill level should be.

Thanks for posting.

MartinPens

Amazing pen Robert. I always look forward to your posts. I hope someday to reach the skill level of custom pen making that you and others exhibit on here. Thanks for the ongoing inspiration. Your pens, and others, are filling up my Ipad photo album!

Robert111

Wow, that is one sweet pen! I have to ask how long have you been turning pens? I'm a newbie and need some time reference to judge where I think my skill level should be.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, Charles. Turned my first pen ar0und 1997 and st0pped f0r years. Started turning pens again in spring 2010. Began turning tubeless pens in April 0f this year. Since then I d0 s0mething alm0st every day.

wizard

Beautiful!

Absolutely beautiful pen Robert. Love the combination of the aluminum accents and black finials that really tie in with Fiery Flows blank. The result is that it makes the red/orange colors in the blank even more prominent. Looks great the in the Duofold style. Your craftsmanship, as usual, is unmatched! Lol..as you once told me..and now I'm telling you.. I could recognize your beautiful work anywhere!

You mentioned the silver...I had the same experience with the disc cutters as well as the issue of oxidation/tarnish (particularly when combined with ebonite) What I use now rather than sterling silver is Argentium 930 silver sheet..it's pretty tarnish resistant, brighter, and more firescale resistant. The main disadvantage is that it is harder than sterling and even more difficult with disc cutters. I end up using a scroll saw to cut it. Anyway..probably more info than you wanted to know...

Keep up the great work..it's truly inspirational as each time I see a creation of yours.....I think of ideas..and want to go to the shop..BUT then I wake up and realize I'm at work....Argghhh ...:rolleyes:...
Regards,
Doc

Top Bottom