A few time this week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Maximil

Maximil

Hi everybody

I had a few time this week so I made two another pen for friends who were wainting for them.
IMG_2947bis.JPG

Img_2953.jpg

Img_2949.jpg

These are carribean swirl celluloid (closed end) and crocus celluloid (fountain pen).

Without any lathe (always :crying:), I have now the technique to turn "round". But it's not evident and practice and sometimes, I have to return a blank 'cause a difference of 2/10 mm of rotation.

And these "all ready" kit are more and more boring I think in these configurations. I'll try to make somes a litlle... different in a next post, perhaps with stainless steel as my last "kubo-pen". :beauty:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

wow, they are super..and no lathe?? double wow..love the end treatments..something new for me to ponder...great pens!!!!

mickr

yes, no lathe. Perhaps I must rename "Maximil" with "nolathe" :biggrin:
You can see my old last work on this post http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48512
yes MAXNOLATHE..sounds exotic...I am impressed with your work..I have seen here a drill press /lathe type thingy (was it in PSI years ago?) like what you have rigged up...you are talented max and have great skill..thanks for sharing with us..just goes to show that tools don't make the artist..skill, dedication, talent and ingenuity rule the day

louisbry

Great looking pens and end treatments. Your drill press method is working out very well for you. What speed do you set your drill press? It is amazing that the closed end pen is round. I don't think my drill press would be so steady.

Maximil

Great looking pens and end treatments. Your drill press method is working out very well for you. What speed do you set your drill press? It is amazing that the closed end pen is round. I don't think my drill press would be so steady.
Thanks,
I set my drill press to the lower speed to drill : 450 t/min and to the maximum to turn or finish 2450t/min. I use successivly an angle grinder (I've fund the english traduction :biggrin:) to start the work with a high speed. Next, when I've no more than 2 or 3 mm (<0.5 inch) to remove, I use chisel and I finish with grind paper -> 240 to 12000. I finish with miror and polish if necessary.

The mount is different for end closed. I've turn the extremity of a round of stainless steel who started with a diameter <to the diameter of the internal closed end tube and finish on a superior diameter (is my explication understanding ? :confused::bulgy-eyes: :biggrin:). So I insert the futur closed end blank on this round SS and block it (it's a cone) and I can work correctly.

Top Bottom