A few segmented Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

I haven't posted many pictures lately but bought a new TS and just had to try it out,....so I present to you "some Slight Segmentation of Several Sigars" ok I know it was a stretch but just look at the pens.........lol

20084125233_3CigarSegs.jpg

The first is Paduak and Maple. The next Beech with Bloodwood and lastly Purpleheart, Maple and Blackwood.
I've got several more in various stages from cut to rough turned. I hope to have a whole display of segmentation when we do our next big show in three weeks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Thanks guys!
Vince, You're right I get as much enjoyment from building the blanks as I do the finished products.pssst being able to build nice blanks was how I justified buying the new table saw ;) Those are Cigar kits from AS
Carl, That's the first Beech I've turned. My wife bought one of those lots of 10 or 12 kinds of wood off eBay and I've had it laying around for 2 or 3 years. I wanted to use something I wouldn't mind wasting as I tried out my new TS sled. My knot still isn't as symmetrical as I'd like. I think a little fine tuning of the saw and sled are in order.

constamj

Very nicely done. I like the celtic knot. I have been working on one as well and it appears you have a similar problem as me. There is a black line in one of the laminations. It is hard to avoid unless everything is cut very cleanly. Nicely done though.

Tanner

Those are really beautiful Mike!! The execution of the segmenting looks awesome! I have a band saw now and will be looking for a table saw. May I ask as to what table saw and blade you purchased?

mick

Originally posted by Tanner

Those are really beautiful Mike!! The execution of the segmenting looks awesome! I have a band saw now and will be looking for a table saw. May I ask as to what table saw and blade you purchased?
Tim I recently bought a Bosch Contracters saw. Heavy, solid saw. Great, really accurate fence. I did these pens with the blade that came on the saw.It's somthing like a .112 kerf. I've since changed to a Irwin 80 tooth thin kerf blade it's .095 thick. I'm looking at a Freud Avanti it is .087 if you go with either the 10" or the 8 1/2" inch and both have 60 teeth. The only problem I can see with the Avanti is the tips are set on a 25 degree angle so you're not going to get a flat bottom kerf if you're not cutting all the way through the blank.But more importantly I built a simple sled with a small angle fence which I can change according to the angle I want. With it you're safer(or your fingers are anyway....lol) and you can get more accurate cuts.

Top Bottom