A few segment pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Spent part of the day making a few segmented pens. The first one is bloodwood and birdseye maple on a Jr Gent chassis in Rhodium finished with CA. Something new and different are the maple diamond segments in the bloodwood.

The second is blue and gold box elder burl on a Jr Gent chassis in Black Titanium finished with CA.

I'll give everyone a break with the daily pens, I've got to fishing!

200783032635_blood-maple-segments.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

I don't usually comment on people's pens, as all that I've seen are great, but these are absolutely stupendous. The craftsmenship is out of this world. Great job. Bob I.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by fstepanski
<br />Excellent work!! The diamonds [8D] are way cool.. When cutting these do you glue or attach two blanks together? Awesome work!!
In the case of the bloodwood and birdseye maple, I sawed the blank in half then sandwiched in-between a piece of maple then glued maple segments on the top and bottom of each barrel using black dyed wood in-between.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Ho hum, another day, more gorgeous pens! [8D] [;)]

Mortising machine inlays?
Well yes I do have a mortising machine, it sits fairly close to my lathe and I got to staring at it the other day when some glue was drying and... well, you see the result.

I got to staring at some other tools too! [:D][:eek:)]

DKF

Yea, why don't you go fishing, and make sure to post a pic of the whopper you catch....if your segmenting skills have anything to do with your fishing skills, you will catch a "record" of some kind![:D]
You make some beautiful pens......and you have given me some ideas for my mortising machine...[8D]

fstepanski

George where do you purchase your "Black Dyed Wood"? I would like to try this, hwoever am concerned with color bleeding. Appears you have identified a good color fast souce for this strips.. Thanks! Happy turnin' Frank

Texatdurango

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I don't know what else to say but, WOW.
Wayne

I don't know if you saw my other segmented pens but I did two amboyna burl red/gold pens then two box elder green/gold pens, then two box elder blue/gold pens... but, I only photographed one blue/gold pen because I misplaced the other one... perhaps it'll show up sooner or later then I'll post a photo of it![:D]

I have to tell you something, I am not a segmented pen fan...

well , until I saw these...WOW....I REALLY like the way you see design.....these really are beautiful, wonderful colours and placements of the segments, totally stunning![:)]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />I have to tell you something, I am not a segmented pen fan...

well , until I saw these...WOW....I REALLY like the way you see design.....these really are beautiful, wonderful colours and placements of the segments, totally stunning![:)]
Jim, To be totally honest, this is my first year making pens and I've already gotten a bit bored with just going out to the shop, opening a bag of parts, picking a blank then going through the motions of making a pen.

The last bloodwood/maple pen for example, was inspired by just staring at my mortiser while waiting for some glue to dry.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Since I took my boat to the shop yesterday, I have the weekend free to make more goodies, but that's just fine, I get to avoid the crowds at the lake, I'll go next week. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom