A few recent efforts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TreeBits

TreeBits

A few recent pens from the workshop. The first pic is of a Big Ben Cigar pen an pencil set from Oak. This oak was described to me at the loacl lumber yard as 'probably' swamp oak. It was in the red oak pile but surely looks like some variety of white oak. It was one board that was maybe 5' x 6" x 3/4". It has yielded lots of beautiful pens and I am only maybe 1/3 of my through it. The second 2 pictures are of another set of Big Bens with matching letter opener in Buckeye Burl. The last is a Big Ben pen in Curly Koa. Any comments or compliments :) are welcome. Tom hale

Attachments

• Oak-Pen-&-pencil-set.jpg
    Oak-Pen-&-pencil-set.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Buckeye-burl-pen-and-pencil.jpg
    Buckeye-burl-pen-and-pencil.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Buckeye-Burl-Letter-opener.jpg
    Buckeye-Burl-Letter-opener.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 196
  • Koa-Big-Ben-Cigar.jpg
    Koa-Big-Ben-Cigar.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Tom,

I only have a minute but I want you to know your display is memorable. The finish outstanding on every item, pens and pecils in the upper bracket of excellence, your choice of timbers selective, grain aware in fact that grain popped beautifully. Congrats look forward to more of your work it is classy.

Kind regards from over here.

Peter.

SDB777

I've always thought that Oak was far under-rated, and apparently I'm not wrong....those are some great examples there!

Scott (looks like white oak to me too) B

IPD_Mr

I am glad you live in Ohio. I think that letter opener would be illegal in at least a half dozen states. I really like the look.

TreeBits

silkwood/oak comparison

Doesn't that oak looks a lot like this figured Asian silkwood?

The oak is very open grained (very open) with very bold figuring. Your silkwood seems to have some bold figuring, but the silkwood I have worked with is not open grained and the figuring is more subtle. Nice pen. Thx tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom