Few Pens from the past (new photography setup)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Roos85

Roos85

Hey Guys, I think I am finally getting my pen photos dialed in to where they look good. Let me know what you think. The redskins one is the first acrylic I ever made, the other 2 were made by my friend.

SkinsThemed.jpg

PatrioticRollerball.jpg

EpicWoodRollerball.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Number 1 is spot on. Highs in 3 are blown out pretty bad and on number two I am wondering if you selectively focused on the blank to high light it? If so you did a fine job. If not it was a very lucky accident because I like it the best of the 3.

Roos85

Great looking pens and your photos are on the money. Share your method? Frank

I use a $15 lightbox off of amazon...

My camera however, I use a Nikon D3100 with novice speed light and a 35mm 1.8 lens. All the lights are off, pitch black. I use a mono pod so I can lean into the tent then I snap the photo. Tiny bit of editing and enhancing in Photoshop lightroom 3 but overall I think the photos are great.

Roos85

Number 1 is spot on. Highs in 3 are blown out pretty bad and on number two I am wondering if you selectively focused on the blank to high light it? If so you did a fine job. If not it was a very lucky accident because I like it the best of the 3.

I am not sure what you mean by "highs", and yes I did focus on the blank so I could get the detail of it. Thanks for the warm remarks.

Haynie

Well #3 looks different now. My monitor must be doing something wird. The highs are the highlights. When I made the comment the highs looked absolutely white and there was no difference between the shine on the pen and the back ground. Now it looks good. Ignore my comment.

This monitor has been great until now. Guess I have to recalibrate.

76winger

To me, The top one is dark overall.

2nd one (well I guess it's not dark) the depth of field is a little shallow. Notice the final is out of focus while the section is in-focus. If you did this on purpose, OK, but if you'd like to get the whole thing in focus, you'll probably need to trade the monopod for a tripod so you can up the aperture to around f16-f20 (which will get more DOF) but the shutter will be so slow you won't be able to hold it while the photo is taken.

3rd one is more of a challenge because the chrome is about right yet the wood is way to dark to see the grain an details. You need some kind of additional light in the front to highlight the wood more, but will have to be careful a bout so you don't get too much reflection off the metal. These usually take some playing around to get somewhat right, but keep at it.

Each experience that's not a complete success is a learning experience...

OKLAHOMAN

As to the photos Dave is spot on but if I can make one suggestion, change your wording from Hand turned in the USA to Hand Crafted in the USA. The pen look super BTW.

Top Bottom