A few new pink, black, and white majestic squires

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Had some scraps left from the last set of segments we did with these blanks, but none were long enough to do a full pen. Chrissy put these together just to see what the finished product looked like.

I think they could some aluminum to offset the segments but otherwise I think they'll sell just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1230_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1230_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1231_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1231_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1235_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1235_1 (Custom).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1238_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1238_1 (Custom).jpg
    22 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1237_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1237_1 (Custom).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 114
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

Beautiful work! Do you use CA to glue the segments together and then a CA finish? Just did my first segmented pen with that technique. Worked pretty well, but I wonder if I'm missing out on a few tricks.

Catherine

Carl Fisher

Thanks! The first one was CA only, the 2nd was epoxy tinted white and glued to the tube in individual bands.

So far I have not needed a finish over the top of any of our purely resin segments. If I do a hybrid of resin/wood then I'll put a finish over it.

Katya

Okay, that makes sense to me. I had used wood & plastic together.
I've heard from an expert that it's not a good idea to use epoxy for glue-up, then CA over top. Always use the same adhesive for both jobs in one pen. Off-gassing issues, I guess. Have you ever found this to be an issue?

Carl Fisher

When I do wood to metal or plastic, I typically use medium CA all around. Since this was acrylic, I used epoxy because I wanted a longer working time to get everything lined up and squared nicely to keep the pattern alignment down the blank.

Otherwise the only time I use epoxy is when gluing tubes into acrylic so I can tint it. On wood, I use CA.

Top Bottom