A few new ones from this newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dustmaker

dustmaker

I am still tweaking my CA finish process and it seems every pen has its own set of issues. The first is a sierra in figured walnut...not completely happy with the finish on this one, but it'll do. The lower end sits a bit proud and I've read the archives and will start to use caliper for final shaping!
The second is an ultra cigar in BOW...this one the wife picked out and she loves it. The third is a click pen in BOW...for the MIL...gotta keep the women folk happy ya know! Comments and feedback very much appreciated...I know I have much to learn and this forum has already been a big help! :)

Attachments

• Pen 002.jpg
    Pen 002.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Pen 004.jpg
    Pen 004.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Pen 005.jpg
    Pen 005.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dustmaker

Thanks Robin. I too like the look of the Ultra...a high end appeal without the high end price. A friend of mine made one of these and I liked it so much I had to try one; it was kind of ironic that the Mrs. picked out this kit for herself...she had no idea I was planning to make some of these :wink:. This is my first, but I bought several kits and hope to have time to try some other woods in the next few weeks. It's fair to say I am addicted or obsessed or something. :embarrassed:

dustmaker

Thanks Max. I actually started the cigar with an acrylic blank, but wouldn't you know it; I got the bushings out of order and had to chuck that blank...rookie mistake (but I didn't really like the blank all that much so no big loss :))
I am finding a lot of variability in the olivewood. The cigar has a nice figure/grain structure throughout. The blank for the click pen only shows strong grain on the one side...the opposite side is pretty much blond sapwood...still a pretty pen and I think the MIL will like it.

dustmaker

Frank I think your finishes look preety well up to the mark from where I sit.:):):)

Thank you. I am pretty anal about the finish! :biggrin: I have been doing quite a bit of experimentation (and reading here on the forums) and each pen is taking less time to make :) so I think I am starting to settle into a process that is working for me. I appreciate the feedback.

Rstyleusa

Those are some nice looking pens. I agree that the Ultra Cigar is a pretty nice pen without the high end cost. Great job on the pens and the finishes look good to me. I have finally tried the CA finishes and tonight I will be able to see how they turn out after I do the final sanding.

Great Job and keep the pictures coming.

dustmaker

Those are some nice looking pens. I agree that the Ultra Cigar is a pretty nice pen without the high end cost. Great job on the pens and the finishes look good to me. I have finally tried the CA finishes and tonight I will be able to see how they turn out after I do the final sanding.

Great Job and keep the pictures coming.

Hi Nate. It will be interesting to see how my CA process works as temps start to drop. It was a bit warm this weekend and that may have played into my success. I have been reading on a few other threads about using accelerator to mitigate CA curing in cold weather so we'll see how all that pans out. I am enjoying the learning process. Please post when you get those pens finished and let us know how you made out.

dustmaker

Thanks John. I got the delrin bushings yesterday, thanks, that was fast service! I used them to refinish a few of my older pens with decent results...at least the bushings are not sticking anymore! The sample blank you included was a nice surprise. You will be getting more of my business in the future...

Top Bottom