A Few of my recents.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

I've only been turning pens for a brief while, but I'm pretty happy with my progress. Here are a few of my most recent pens. Both pens have a CA/BLO finish. The first is my favorite. It's on one of ElMostro's odd lot blanks on a black titanium Jr Statesman. This has got to be the hardest material I've turned so far. I had to stop to sharpen my tools atlest 5 times over the course of this pen. took probably 1 hour to turn and sand, but I love the look. By far the best $6 I've ever spent on a blank.

The second is an Amboyna Burl on a Gold Statesman. I made this one for a friend who's given me alot of side work over the last couple of years. I've had it for a couple of weeks, and I keep telling him if he doesn't pick it up I'm going to start using it for my day to day pen. The burl is from Harris Burl Supply.

The last photo is just a snapshot of my pen box. I'm trying to build up a stock of a few. I guess I'll have to start trying to sell some once the box gets full. Right now I like looking at them so much it's hard to think about letting one go.

Comments are always welcome.
Ben

Attachments

• ElMostro.jpg
    ElMostro.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 330
  • mo.jpg
    mo.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 215
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gagler

Great Job

Those all look great - if you've only been turning pens a little while like you said, I can't wait to see say 6 months to a year from now! You're right - that first one is super.

VisExp

That's some nice work. Well done, you should be pleased with your progress. One comment on the Amboyna Burl Statesmen. From the photo it looks like your end cap bushing might be out of round. I noticed this as I have the same issues with that bushing. I'm trying to resolve it by turning between centers using the bushing to turn the blank to shape but still quite a bit proud of the bushings. Then I mount the blank between centers with out the bushings and turn it to final dimension using calipers. I have a bunch of Jr. the finish is curing on. I'll know if it works when I assemble them in a couple of days.

davinci27

Thanks for the hint on the bushings. I've noticed more and more I should rely on them less and less. I've got to get some centers so I can use them. also the states man was actual about 10 pens ago so I've improved some. The Jr. Statesman was actual my best fit yet.

ElMostro

Ben, beautiful work. That blank is pecan root burl and it was from my "Frozen Tundra" series. Pretty hard stuff once its stabilized with alumilite. It turned out really, really nice.
Eugene.

davinci27

Thanks Eugene. I love the blank. I'll definitely be watching for the next round of blanks. It was a great buy. I'm going to have to order some more high end kits for the next blank.

Ben

Top Bottom