a few of my pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fafow

fafow

I'm finally getting pics of some of my pens posted. The focus isn't great on these. I should have used my tripod with the digital camera (an older one with not great focusing). I have more pics yet to be developed on some film (old school) with my old Nikon on a tripod. Hope to get those developed this weekend.

These first two pens were designed for my wife who has carpal tunnel. I took the blanks off the lathe about 4 or 5 times during the turning process to make sure it would fit her hand perfectly. She ended up giving the amboyna burl pen to my cousin who is a teacher and has carpal tunnel. She loves it and says the design allows her to write for extended periods of time. She can also grip the pen about 3 or 4 different ways. The first of these two pics is amboyna burl. The second is east indian rosewood. Neither has a clip since it will be kept in a purse and both used the 7mm slimline black ti kit.
tn_amboyna%20carpal.jpg
tn_east%20Indian%20rosewood%20-%20carpal.jpg

This next pen was made to order as a gift for his fiance. He also did not want a clip. This was made from box elder burl with some red flame using the 7mm streamline ti gold kit.
tn_box%20elder%20burl.jpg

This next one is a gift for my sister-in-law (also no clip). The wood is a bit proud at the center band. This is lignum vitae.
tn_lignum%20vitae.jpg

This last one is curly pyinma and is the one I usually use right now. It has a clip, but that is on the backside of this photo. I wanted to show more of the curly aspect of the wood (along with a bit of the natural imperfection in the wood).
tn_curly%20pyinma.jpg

Once again, sorry about the focus issue with most of these pens. I promise to do better on that for my future photos.

Craig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

At first glance I thought these pens were ugly but well made. on reading your explanations I can see why they are made in such a fashion. You are to be congratulated for taking a personalise approach to your pen making. Excellent work!!:):):)[^]

fafow

Arthur,

Thanks for the feedback. I am so new to all this that I haven't finished making pens for my give-aways to family and friends and also haven't finished making the special request pens (for sale or gift). As a result, all the pens I have made have been designed for the recipient, whether that be the actual design of the pen or the wood or no clip, or ... I just passed my 2 month anniversary of making my first pen. So, lots to learn yet. In making them this way I was surprised with some of the feedback I have received. I didn't think I would be able to put a clip on my wife's pens since the top was so wide and then narrows down so much. I just didn't think the kit clip would be functional at all. She was fine with leaving it off. Then we found that a lot of women did not want the clip because it might get caught on things in their purse. I admit that in most cases the pen looks a bit different without the clip. I'm assuming that is what caused you to say they looked ugly. I get a lot of satisfaction from pen making out of knowing that it met a particular need or like for the recipient. I like them to have some type of special meaning (other than that they are handmade). I especially got very happy when my cousin told me how much the amboyna pen helped her in writing. I was not expecting that much of an impact. I felt really good inside for a while on that one. I also like to put a flare or small bump at the end of my pens. I have somewhat large hands and a lot of the smaller pens that I have used, and pens with a very slick finish, tend to slide out of my grip. I then expend energy on actually gripping the pen so it won't slide out. With the bump or the flare I don't have to grip the pen, it just fits in between my fingers and I can write more effortlessly. My wife figures that the flare is more feminine and prefers that on the pens I make for women. But, I generally ask the person if they would like a bump or flare or neither. I figure when I am finally able to work on building up an inventory that they will be more standard pens.

rherrell

Originally posted by R2

At first glance I thought these pens were ugly but well made. on reading your explanations I can see why they are made in such a fashion. You are to be congratulated for taking a personalise approach to your pen making. Excellent work!!:):):)[^]

I agree!

Top Bottom