A few of my own

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Smitty37

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here are 3 of my latest...the two slimlines were done to test a new kit and finish (new to my supplier) of antique brass and red antique brass. They were also to get me back to turning a little and use my new lathe. They aren't too good. The Le Roi Elegant LB displays an Acrylester blank from Woodturninz on Chrome/Black Chrome Hardware. I think I'll carry this one for awhile.
Antiquebrass slim.jpg red antique brass.jpg Acrylester2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Nice - this isn't really your first time turning pens is it?

I really like that inlace one. Sure is nice when it's done :)

The second one looks like the top of the lower tube may be a little out of round, but it could be the picture.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice - this isn't really your first time turning pens is it?

I really like that inlace one. Sure is nice when it's done :)

The second one looks like the top of the lower tube may be a little out of round, but it could be the picture.
The first one the top tube is not flat and it's overturned...it was a very soft wood and I made too deep a cut but since it isn't for sale and will be used only to look at the brass I didn't turn a new blank....if I ever want to do anythin with it I will.

I used a mandrel on the slims and hence they could be out of round...I was also playing with pressure from the knurled nut and the live center ... both were a little loose and it produced a little wobble. They were turned to give me some feel for the new lathe and are 'keepers'.

longbeard

Great looking pen Leroy. I like the mixture of the two blanks on the first one. Antique brass looks good. Your Elegant LB looks good with the blank. It might just be the pic, but it appears as though the finial is not pressed in completely on the Elegant LB.

Harry (to cold to turn here) M

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I like the finish of the new kits. At the nib end on the new kits it looks like it fits over the blank is that so? I blank on the LB is a nice pairing.

good work, I am still trying to get used to the antique brass look. my crazy mind says all things should be Krispy and clean looking.

thanks for sharing

Mike Powell

good work, I am still trying to get used to the antique brass look. my crazy mind says all things should be Krispy and clean looking.

thanks for sharing

I agree. So far I am not a fan of the antique look. I am very simple in the looks of things, and to me they just look to busy. I'm not saying they dont make nice pens, but I prefer gun metal, black and pewter, in that order. I do like the TI line also.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Great looking pen Leroy. I like the mixture of the two blanks on the first one. Antique brass looks good. Your Elegant LB looks good with the blank. It might just be the pic, but it appears as though the finial is not pressed in completely on the Elegant LB.

Harry (to cold to turn here) M
You are right it wasn't....the band should cover the sleeve lip. The first one is Zebrawood upper bbl and Curly Maple lower bbl. The other slim is unknown but it's straight grained decent medium color and turned real nice I didn't take any pains with it or it would be a good saleable pen. Finish on the wood is a few coats of mylands.

Last edited:

Joe S.

Looks like antique brass and antique copper from woodturningz with a flat clip. Nice thing about antique finishes is durability isn't as much of an issue. :biggrin:

Top Bottom