A few of my cast small Banksias

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

I couldn't resist turning a few of the banksia blanks I've been casting over the past weeks. Broken wrist is driving me nuts and I am bored, and pens are the only thing I'm willing to turn single handed.

Apart from the colours, you can really see how variable the "pattern" is on the banksias. Difference in seed hole size and spacing, and extent of the black fury bits. I've been casting the smaller ones trying to get larger holes, but in doing so, I get more fury black bits.

I can't get Ultraseal here in Aus and stabilizing with the special water thin epoxy hardener seems to have worked the best. It makes the timber very hard and helps stick the resin filled holes. I still lost the odd hole when they got close to size, so I still used thin CA at 1-2mm off size
redface.gif

Very hard to photograph and I can't get the colours to match the real appearance. The first set is green, blue, copper, yellow and gold. The second white, pale green (mix of green and white - special order), purple, blue/purple, candy pink. Kits are a mix of satin chrome, satin copper, black ti and black chrome gold.

I've got around 50-60 new blanks made, just have to stabilize them before putting them up for sale.

Cheers

Attachments

• banksia set1.jpg
    banksia set1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 319
  • banksia set2.jpg
    banksia set2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

I was wondering what some little banksias would look like as pens... WOW!! Unreal! Fantastic work on the casting and the pens.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dai Sensei

thanks for the comments.

Where will you be selling these when they are ready (here, ebay, etc)?

I have been approached by a number of members for some, but postage to O/S from here is very expensive. Hadn't thought of Ebay, but was thinking of organising a group buy to USA if there was enough interest, perhaps after Xmas.

jasontg99

thanks for the comments.

I have been approached by a number of members for some, but postage to O/S from here is very expensive. Hadn't thought of Ebay, but was thinking of organising a group buy to USA if there was enough interest, perhaps after Xmas.

That's great, as I will be back in the good ol US of A in March. I do have a US address to ship to though. I will definitley be on the lookout for these. Please keep me informed.

Jason

Top Bottom