A few more for Xmas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DaveO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

In my quest to make all the pens that I, and my wife (who recently discovered that my pens are great gifts) want to give as gifts, these are the last few days efforts.

Thuya burl with Wenge and Purpleheart center band, modified slimline -

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20198IAP.jpg

I now love working with burl wood, the figure and color are amazing.

And a attempt at a more feminine pen for my SIL, Tulipwood with Wenge accents -

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20199IAP.jpg

I've been trying to work on my photography as well as my turnings, I would appreciate critiques on both.
Thanks for looking :D:D

Dave:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonF

I like the accents on both pens. My eye is really drawn to the center of the second pen-nice look. What color is the hardware?

Skye

Veeeeeeeeeeery nice. Super fit-n-finish too. I've done a lot of bands, but never a segmented one *mental snapshot*.

May I suggest looking into the Fancy Slimlines from Woodturningz? They seem to have clips that stand a little further out and will help avoid that stressed looking clip in the first pic.

DaveO

Tonight's results. Trying a new modified form that a friend made and I was impressed by. Needs a little practice, but overall not to bad of a pen,
Curly Walnut modified slimline with Maple and Walnut veneer CB. Satin nickle kit from WC.

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20206IAP.jpg

Dave[:)]

Skye

A few quick notes:

Looks like you got a little thin approaching the nib.

I would either move the bands away from the joint a hair more or just use the edge of the lower band as the joint. Bring the veneer right to the end of the blank.

You can get kits a lot cheaper online.

Wonder how far Clayton is from me? You should hit the next Atlanta meet!

DaveO

Skye, you are 100% correct on the nib. I had a small chunk commit sucide, and had to repair the resulting hole with some CA and dust. Sanding that blob back down to the rest of the pen didn't work so well, and I got a little thin.
I don't understand what you are suggestion about the CB. The Maple/Walnut band is at the end of the upper barrel, it is at the twist joint.
Thanks for your critique, that is why I post my pens here to learn how to make them better[:D]

Skye

It looks like there is a hair of wood that's not veneer showing before the joint. It may be a camera trick and you may have done just what I suggested, I just cant tell.

And what's with this veneer talk? You wrapped those bands around the pen? Where's the seam? Compared to you, I've been taking the easy way out [:D]

DaveO

Originally posted by Skye
<br />It looks like there is a hair of wood that's not veneer showing before the joint. It may be a camera trick and you may have done just what I suggested, I just cant tell.

And what's with this veneer talk? You wrapped those bands around the pen? Where's the seam? Compared to you, I've been taking the easy way out [:D]

Yep, I think that it is just the camera, or a little excessive CA build-up that I didn't part off totally.
The veneer is the Walnut stripe between the Maple bands, it's just 2 layers of commercial veneer laminated between the 3/32" maple bands. It's solid all the way to the tube [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom