A few more from the week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Few more Jr. Gent's from this week.

First off a Rhodium Jr. Gent I complete with Sodalite Tru-Stone, and Alt Bone Segments. Thought this was going to be a little cooler than it turned out to be. Too much negative space on the cap. Thinking about having the cap laser engraved, and color filled with a matching blue. Something along the lines of blue and white porcelain plate patternish? Have someone in mind for this one....Opinions welcome....

Second off one of these Invisavue things. What is this stuff made from? Anyway, obviously not a good idea to hit this with a disk sander as it melts with the quickness. Nice concept but not sure I will do another of these anytime soon. No trouble Sanding it, just end squaring trouble with the melting. Very nice depth in the blank, polished up nicely. Complete with a small Heritance Nib from Exotics. Will get around to a custom finial as I had to shorten the tube a tad, see melting issues above :redface: Also dropped the black band from the cap, and between you and I, it wont screw in all the way. The nib is hitting the underside of the finial, so may have to make a custom matching center band to lengthen the cap so it wont damage the nib.

Thanks For looking, C&C Welcome!

Attachments

• Sodalite Bone RB Capped.jpg
    Sodalite Bone RB Capped.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Sodalite Bone RB.jpg
    Sodalite Bone RB.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Sodalite Bone RB On Cap.jpg
    Sodalite Bone RB On Cap.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Prussian Blue Fountain Invisavue.jpg
    Prussian Blue Fountain Invisavue.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 192
  • prussina blue fountain capped.jpg
    prussina blue fountain capped.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

The alternate accents on the tubes looks great. Invisavue reminds me of the old cellulose nitrate which had a low melting point. I find I have to lower the speed on the saw, drill press and lathe to avoid the melting issue. So I simply change beltspeeds. The alternative is to repair the melting problems with hand sanding.

jmbaker79

The alternate accents on the tubes looks great. Invisavue reminds me of the old cellulose nitrate which had a low melting point. I find I have to lower the speed on the saw, drill press and lathe to avoid the melting issue. So I simply change beltspeeds. The alternative is to repair the melting problems with hand sanding.

I hear you on these things. I drilled pretty slow. I cut the blank a little long so hence the disc sander. Ate it up but it worked out fine. I turned it with a carbide r4 as fast as it would run. No melting on the blank while turning, or sanding. Only issue was squaring the tubes, and disc sander portion, which i do with a reversed pen mill and sand paper. Did most of the squaring by hand with the mill. Worst part...the strands that are made by turning almost melt, and harden very fast and whip the heck out of your hand. The ones that dont somehow harden into rings and really get in the way on my centers. Thanks for the accent comment, these are by far my cleanest segments, look made that way.

Top Bottom