A few more pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This first pen is done on a blank named after a man I greatly admire and miss on this forum a lot, the pen is a Creekline from Smitty 37, and the blank is a CAV Uni Pink, named for Dr. William Cavanaugh a great guy. Even though he's a Dentist!!
The second is a pair of Diplomats from Exotic Blanks dressed in Rhino Plastic Confetti blanks from Beartooh woods.
Next is a pink pink Stylus the blank is from Exotics but it's not a Cav Uni Pink, I believe it's an Italian blank, and the Stylus of course is from CSUSA.
Last is an Artist Sketch Pencil fro CSUSA dressed in a funky old piece of Honduras Rosewood Burl, with a few eyes and silly swirly grain, segmented with a very thin piece of Aluminum and topped with a piece of Ebony that's blacker than my heart, the ebony was drilled about 6 months ago and allowed to dry, it's finished with 10 coats of thick CA

Please click on the thumbnails and PLEASE comments and Critiques are very welcome since it's been some time since I got to turn any pens.

Attachments

• Cav-Uni-Pink-Creekline.jpg
    Cav-Uni-Pink-Creekline.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Confetti.jpg
    Confetti.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Pink-Stylus.jpg
    Pink-Stylus.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Jeremys-Pencil.jpg
    Jeremys-Pencil.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Great job, Ken. Now fess up, who's tools did you use to turn those pieces of beauty? Huh? Huh? You know everyone will want to know!
Charles

bitshird

LOVE the sketch pencil! That is a real winner!!!
I very seldom plan a pen 6 or 7 months in advance, but since the Ebony is pretty thick at he part where it joins the Aluminum and HRB, and the hole is 3/8 I drilled it 1/8 the first time let it sit a month then 1/4and sit then just under 3/8 and let it sit for the last 3 months, turning it and flipping it end for end, Then came the moment of truth, that sucker really has a good size difference between the top hole and the thickness at the join, and I was a bit worried. I did every thing by the numbers even tried to figure the expansion co-efficient. as with all Ebony Time will tell.

Great job, Ken. Now fess up, who's tools did you use to turn those pieces of beauty? Huh? Huh? You know everyone will want to know!
Charles
Mr Tubbs, Sir, you must realize that my modesty and Civilities would prevent me from saying that I use one of my own tools of my manufacture, But I heard there are some places that do sell them. And I guess if they work on this stuff they work on any thing

The first pink is really nice - but I LOVE that sketch pencil on the right. Gorgeous. ANd I love that fat clip.

That Pencil has been cut and the Ebony drying at least 6 months after the first hole was drilled in it. Ebony and Snake wood are the two most beautiful wood in their own way and they are also the most likely to crack/ split or just act nasty, Many theories abound, one is that since they are so oily and that is the reason for their weight and density that any sharp or even a small temperature change if sudden enough like in drilling can start a crack which may not show for months,. Leaving an Ebony pen in an unshaded glass display case is a guarantee of a ruined pen, same with Snakewood, and the blanks aren't cheap to begin with. but with Love and slow steady work they both can be made into beautiful writing instruments, And Tool Handles, I have Canadian Turner friend "CharlesH who gets hold of some of the most beautiful woods. make a handle for a tool out of Snakewood, when he made the handle here's like an 80 or 90 dollar piece of wood on one of the tools I make. I nearly flipped. But I did have a real nice guy "and he's a Marine" send me a piece of Camphor Burl which I wouldn't trade for any thing.
The Clip is part of the kit, that's what makes the difference between the work box pencil which has no clip, just a thin 6 sided centerband and it'll roll off when you need it, both use the Fat lead. both have sharpeners it the caps.

bitshird

Freddie it felt so funny to turn a pen, Mostly it's been Tool Handles and Bowls , I forgot how much fun it was, .
But Jan-1 Andrew takes over 3 days a week I going to try and retire 1 more time, if this doesn't work then just prop me up at a lathe or milling machine and glue my hand to the controls :biggrin:

CharlesH

Regarding the snakewood handle, totally worth it! It is premium quality as well, cue making stuff. ;-)

The thickness of the pieces of wood has a big impact on the cracking. My tool is in the garage and the temperature and humidity variation fluctuate a lot. The wood is in perfect condition. ;-)

I have some photos of it on my site If someone is interested, just click on the link in my signature.

C

EDIT: I am happy to see some wood pen. :p Fantastic finish on that one!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Last edited:

phillywood

Ken, those are some beautiful work man. I am glad to know that your back not hurting brought out your creativity again. Very nice to see you turning pens again.
I need to get to work turning pen so I can fit in now.:rolleyes:
Not as good as you yet though. But, I am sure you'll steer me in the right direction with your advise. Now, you better go and give the pink one to Mrs. Ferrell, and send the right one to me to admire it.:tongue:

Last edited:
Top Bottom