A few I have been itching to turn...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Ever get to looking at a handful of blanks and wonder which one would look the best? Well, I have a dozen or so blanks that I have just been dying to find out what they would look like turned and here are three of them.

From left to right: Huang Huali emperor, Cochen Rosewood burl Imperial and Texas "Treaty Oak" burl emperor.

Up until now Amboyna burl has been my hands down favorite wood for pens but I believe the Cochen Rosewood burl might have just knocked the Amboyna into second place or possibly even third place after Rosewood burl.

Actually, it's a relaxing pleasure making any of them and with the Amboyna and Haung Huali, you have the additional bonus of the aroma while turning.

emperorsandimperial.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mazzywv

Absolutely fantastic looking. Can't decide on my favorite either. Very nice job.

jedgerton

George,

Those are all stunning but I have to say my favorite is the Rosewood burl although that Texas Treaty Oak is a close second. As for the HHL (I believe its called), I'm not too wild about it. Yours is superb but I find the appearance of that wood inconsistent with its price. JMHO.

John

Texatdurango

George,

Those are all stunning but I have to say my favorite is the Rosewood burl although that Texas Treaty Oak is a close second. As for the HHL (I believe its called), I'm not too wild about it. Yours is superb but I find the appearance of that wood inconsistent with its price. JMHO.

John

John, You have a keen eye! :biggrin: Remember that's a Cochin Rosewood burl which is a little different that what I consider the plain Rosewood burl. This seems to have more red hues than the chocolate browns usually found in Rosewood burls.

Also, don't jump to conclusions with regards to the price of the blanks, the Huang Huali was a gift from a friend in Singapore!

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
That Cochen Rosewood burl is very, very nice.

HHL realy doesn't do anything for me but, being a bit biased, I'd have to say the Texas Treaty Oak burl is by far the nicest of three very fine pens! :biggrin:

mrburls

Hands down the Cochen Rosewood Burl does it for me :)
As always, you turn a great looking pen (pens in this case) George.
Doesn't hurt having nice photos either.

Keith "mrburls"

JohnU

All three are OUT of THIS WORLD NICE! but my vote goes to the Oak! Super job! Your finish is exellent and the photo is professional all the way! Hell, my wallet hurts just looking at them!

cnirenberg

George,
Sweet looking pens. I would answer your question, but all I can see are the finish glares in my eyes. Wow. Those pens are great.

Top Bottom