A few corian experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cjthomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjthomas

I got my hands on a large quantity of corian a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had much time to turn it since then. Well, I finally got down to the lathe and here is the result. Three corian pens. This was my first experience with corian. The first I put on the lathe square. It was like trying to make a rock round. The second two I knocked the corners off with the belt sander before I put them on the lathe. They were not nearly as tough to round (at least to me). I tried something a little different with each one. I am going to take 2 or 3 to the company where I got the corian. I talked to the manager when I got the stuff and he seemed interested in the possibility of providing pens to his customers out of the same colors that he sold them for countertops. This could be a great deal! Enjoy and comment. Thanks for looking.

20052603148_p10100191.jpg

20052603215_P1010016.jpg

20052603240_P1010017.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Iwent to your album to view them all at once.
They look good.
You must have a large monitor.

cjthomas

Thanks all. I went back in and reduced the size of the pictures. When I looked at the size of the raw image from my camera is was something like 22 inches. I'm not sure how it got that big, but now you can see the whole picture on the screen.

cjthomas

John that is a seam in the sand colored blank. I used CA to glue the blanks. When I talked to the installers, they said if the joint disappears with a dry fit it should with glue also. They said you could buy the colored epoxy but is usually wasn't necessary. It seems more necessary on the lighter colors than on the darker ones.

G

Originally posted by cjthomas
<br />John that is a seam in the sand colored blank. I used CA to glue the blanks. When I talked to the installers, they said if the joint disappears with a dry fit it should with glue also. They said you could buy the colored epoxy but is usually wasn't necessary. It seems more necessary on the lighter colors than on the darker ones.
I have found that gluing Corian or other man made surface material is unforgiving,
Don't listen to the suppliers.
CA is super clear,and even a dry fit with good joints may show glue lines.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There's a guy up here who does corian pens exclusively. He makes the traditional CA slurry with thick CA for all of his glueings. His lines are virtually invisible. Just a thought...and it's not even mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom