A Few Christmas Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alex D

Alex D

These are three pens I made for my brother and sister-in-law and my niece for Christmas.

They live in Alaska so I elected to go with a couple of local blanks for my brother and his wife. My niece just started college so I went with something a little "blingier"

First up is a Retro wearing a spalted Alaskan birch blank from exotics with an "oops" catch or two filled with turquoise.

DSC03564.JPG

DSC03565.JPG

Next up is the bling. My wife helped me pick the kit and blank. This is a Princess wearing a pelican bay blank from Beartooth Woods:

DSC03568.JPG

DSC03569.JPG

Finally, this is the pen for my SIL. It is a Le Roi Elegant and it was supposed to be wearing a similar blank to the Retro. However, the bottom half of the blank gave me fits. I flooded it with think CA, just like the other blank, but as I turned it, the bottom half was really soft in spots and really hard in others, leaving me with these rock hard islands amid a sea of punky wood. I'm guessing I didn't get the CA flooded well enough, but in my opinion it ended up being a creative plus.

I decided to give segmenting a shot as a result. So, I turned off most of the bottom half below the spalt line. Then, using an xacto, I cut trimmed the blank so that it followed the contours of the spalt line. Then I elected to use a piece of Arctic Caribou antler as the bottom segment. I drilled it, then used a compass to mirror the spalt line again and I left a small gap between the two segments that I filled with turquoise.

Then I enlarged the holes in the pith a little and filled those with turquoise as well.

The whole thing is finished in CA.

Believe it or not, this is actually the effect I was going for. I felt the spalt line looked like a mountain, the gap looked like a river and the pith looked like a waterfall with the antler looking a bit like snow. All in all, a nice Arctic scene.

DSC03559.JPG

DSC03562.JPG

DSC03563.JPG

DSC03560.JPG

Oh, and my wife asked me to make this one for her boss. He is a San Francisco Giants fan. It is a Jr. Gent II wearing a coral mosaic blank from Exotics coupled with a solid black cap. I'm a Dodger fan so this was particularly hard to make!

DSC03558.JPG

Lots to work on, especially in the photo department, but I'll get there!

Thanks,
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Alex what fantastic Recoveries.
If it is the difficulties we overcome, that strengthen us.
Then brother you must be strong.

Firstly, Was it the battle of the Skew? Such a shame it is a magnificent blank.
For me the turquoise is a bit too bright against that Blank, perhaps some brass or aluminium fines, would be less "Out There".
Also I probably would have tried to alter the outline form to a more irregular one, particularly the smaller central one, to conceal the "Paint Drop Appearance".

Love the Princess, pure class all the way.

The Le Roi Elegant, What a task you had, I cannot think of any way out of that.
Your Recovery and Image are Fantastic.

Which leads us to the Uneventful Jr. Gent II.
A great Pen.
Top Drawer all round.
I would like to see it with its cap on to give the full effect.

I cannot imagine what you went through with these Special Pens for Christmas.
It must have been Hell.

I take my Hat off to you.
A Marvellous Effort and Result.
Brian.

Alex D

Brian,

Thank you for the kind words.

On the first pen, it was indeed the skew that bit me. I agree that I should have reshaped the gouge before filling. I did a little, but I really should have done more. You are correct, it looks too much like an oops.

I will make sure to let my wife know that she got it right with the princess. Needless to say, I was clueless when it came to finding something for a 19 year old young lady!

Thank you,
Alex

TwoCatsPens

Amazing how well you did turning a "AH SHOOT!" into a design feature. Nice job on all of them. Love seeing what people do, gives me a target to aim for.

RBS

Top Bottom