Fender Stratocaster???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
.....or perhaps a RATocaster:biggrin: ?? I have been making this one for what seems like years, but work just keeps getting in the way. :mad: But I've just got a few small details to add and then press a fountain pen nib in. It is not as nice as I hoped, but I learnt a lot and will definately make a better one, one day:rolleyes: The whole thing is just less than 300mm long. Fun to make too.
I hope to have it completed ( with nib) soon.:rolleyes:
EDIT; I just added the pick with the nib, to show scale. I'll need to get it out to finish it though:eek: Hope I can pull it out without wrecking it:confused:

Attachments

• stRATocaster10.jpg
    stRATocaster10.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 874
  • stRATocaster2.jpg
    stRATocaster2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 654
  • stRATocaster4.jpg
    stRATocaster4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 978
  • stRATocaster5.jpg
    stRATocaster5.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • stRATocaster11.jpg
    stRATocaster11.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 976
  • Strat12.jpg
    Strat12.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,380
Last edited:

philb

Love that skippy! Is that all PR and Alt ivory?

Must say I cant work out where the nib goes! What sort of scale is it? As can work it out compared to the lathe as I don't know how big that is!

PHIL

PR_Princess

Sweet music to my ears!

Steven that is just awesome!!!!
Quite a departure in style too.......was there an inspiration??? And what about the rest of the band?:tongue:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Terrible. Awful. Disgusting.

Where can I buy one?

How does it feel in the hand? I'd think it might be more comfortable
with the nib turned 90 degrees, but that's me.
You have far more patience than I do. Nice work!

hewunch

Skip, that is SWEET! If I may give one critique. If it is going to be a hard tail (no tremolo aka whammy bar) then you only need 6 holes in the bridge. Very nice. VERY NICE indeed. Now, get you some of those clear decals and make you a logo for the headstock.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Un-freakin'-belivable! Clapton's brownie! I'd be willing to bet he'd peel off a thousand quid for that beauty. (Did you know that E.C. is a fountain pen collector?)

bitshird

Skip, you are a very talented individual buy also quite disturbed as well,:) too bad Leo Fender isn't still alive, I'll bet a shinny new penny he would pay handsomely for that pen. I met him at a guitar show in L.A not long after he started G&L I think it was around 1980, way after he sold Fender to CBS. Quick make a Les Paul, he's still alive, he's 80 something so you best hurry. I love the jig you made on your cross slide, you is one crafty dude.
Lou Clapton's Strats were Blackie at least according to his auto biography, In fact Fender Custom is still pumping them out at close to 3500 with an old style tweed case for the signature model.

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lou Clapton's Strats were Blackie at least according to his auto biography, In fact Fender Custom is still pumping them out at close to 3500 with an old style tweed case for the signature model.

"Brownie" is a 1956 Fender Stratocaster with a sunburst finish, maple neck, skunk-stripe routing and dot inlays. Manufactured in June 1956, it is serial number 12073.
Eric bought the guitar in 1967 and used it in the studio and in concert. He used the guitar in 1970 to record the classic album "Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs". Brownie is also pictured on the back of the album cover. It can also be seen on the cover of his first solo album, "Eric Clapton" (1970). After 1970, Brownie served as the back-up for Eric's main Fender Stratocaster, Blackie.

Eric sold Brownie on 24 June 1999 at Christie's Auction House, New York to raise funds for Crossroads Centre Antigua (an alcohol and drug treatment centre) which he founded. Brownie sold for $450,000 (not including buyer's premium) and became the most expensive guitar ever. This record fell two years later when one of Jerry Garcia's guitars was sold at auction. Since 24 June 2004, the distinction for world's most expensive guitar sold at auction is held by Eric's most famous Stratocaster, Blackie.
In 2004, Fender G.B Ireland named Brownie the number one stratocaster "to die for".

thetalbott4

If I made something half as cool as that, it would be half cool! As a guitar player and pen maker I gotta say that is a great piece of work. Love it!

jttheclockman

.....or perhaps a RATocaster:biggrin: ?? I have been making this one for what seems like years, but work just keeps getting in the way. :mad: But I've just got a few small details to add and then press a fountain pen nib in. It is not as nice as I hoped, but I learnt a lot and will definately make a better one, one day:rolleyes: The whole thing is just less than 300mm long. Fun to make too.
I hope to have it completed ( with nib) soon.:rolleyes:
EDIT; I just added the pick with the nib, to show scale. I'll need to get it out to finish it though:eek: Hope I can pull it out without wrecking it:confused:

Now that is pretty cool. Great idea for the music lover. You could probably sell those to some of the customers that bought these CD cases I used to make.

Copy_of_Guitar_Cd_Racks.jpg

chriselle

Skip, you are a very talented individual buy also quite disturbed as well,:) too bad Leo Fender isn't still alive, I'll bet a shinny new penny he would pay handsomely for that pen. I met him at a guitar show in L.A not long after he started G&L I think it was around 1980, way after he sold Fender to CBS. Quick make a Les Paul, he's still alive, he's 80 something so you best hurry. I love the jig you made on your cross slide, you is one crafty dude.

You're shy a "0" on that figure, Ken....:biggrin::eek:

JohnU

Ive go to say Skiprat, just when I think you've done it all, you creat a new playing field! Outstanding work and just the push and inspiration some of us need. Thank you for being so generous with sharing your ideas and the execution of them.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:biggrin: I didn't imagine that I'd get so many nice comments when I got up this morning. Thanks:wink:

I did attempt to copy Claptons 'Brownie' as I think it has got to be the coolest looking guitar ever. But even after several tries, I couldn't get the sunburst effect right, so I guess this is somewhere between Blackie and Brownie:rolleyes::confused:
It will eventually have a tremelo bar and other bits, but I may just make the 'ashtray' bridge to simplify it.

Dawn, the inspiration was just from sitting in traffic one evening and there was a feature on Clapton on the radio. I downloaded a photo off the net and worked from that. I also sent Lou (DCBluesman ) the pic asking him for some more dimensions that I couldn't work out from the pic.
The rest of the band is ready and waiting:wink: We are just looking for a cool looking groupie:biggrin: Interested???:biggrin:

But scale wise it is too fat (thick). Next one will be much thinner.

John, those CD racks are wonderfull !!!!:eek:

The holiday weekend is over and I have to get back to the salt mine:mad:
Cheers

Top Bottom