feeling caligraphy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from george

george

Hy everbody !

I was feeling kind of caligraphy few days ago, and made some caligraphy pen holders from different sorts of wood.

I was also very lucky to get to wood that is old around 2.5 milion years. It was found in one of Slovenian mines, and it similar to ebony look. It is very fragile, but also very dense. It took me quite some time to get the good CA finish, but unfortunatly I only had Americana kit on stock. I would rather made some larger pen. And also one caligraphy pen holder out of it.

Thanks for opinions - still need a lot of work on taking good pictures.

Attachments

• 681.jpg
    681.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 682.jpg
    682.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 683.jpg
    683.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Thank you for kind words

Actually this wood was when large area of pine, sekvoja and cypress forests was lowered around 2.5 milion years ago. About 100 years ago big coal mine was build in that area, and miners have found this pieces of wood. The main problem was, that after brought out of the coal mine on air, it fell apart in few hours. But few years later they have discovered a way to dry it and now it can be shaped (cut, drilled, turned..) I just hope I get few more pieces. A wood of that history should be a good seller.

td

Banned
George,

Really nice shaping. Beautiful work. I love the history attached to them as well. They should be great sellers! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

george

Thank you all for kind words. True inspiration.

Thanks for the links too. The coal mine from where we got the wood is about 100 km from the Slovenian-Hungarian border, so this entire area must have been under the same water. The wood lays on aproximate depth of 200-400 meters under the surface.

And this are the guys that gets it out.

Attachments

• miners.jpg
    miners.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom