Feeling brave enough to showcase!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bugware

Bugware

After a couple of months making pens I feel that it is time to show a few samples. I would be grateful for some feedback.

Regards

Neil.

Attachments

• Piano Classic - Closed2.jpg
    Piano Classic - Closed2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Piano Classic - Closeup.jpg
    Piano Classic - Closeup.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Classic Deer Antler and Amber Crush - wide.jpg
    Classic Deer Antler and Amber Crush - wide.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Classic Leopard3.jpg
    Classic Leopard3.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Clipless Open.jpg
    Clipless Open.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Classic Buffalo Set3.jpg
    Classic Buffalo Set3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 6 Classics2.jpg
    6 Classics2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 309
  • Classic Amber Crush - Closed2.jpg
    Classic Amber Crush - Closed2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Ok here's the deal, if you must display your first pens that you claim "you have only been doing for a couple of months", they first must look like beginner pens. If you are uncertain what that looks like, pm me for photos.:wink: Super start, very nice!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok here's the deal, if you must display your first pens that you claim "you have only been doing for a couple of months", they first must look like beginner pens.........

LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth:biggrin:

All VERY impressive Neil. Did you do the keys yourself?

keithkarl2007

a couple of months??? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: who do you think your kidding :biggrin: i suppose you just also happened to learn to take perfect photo's from a camera straight from the box :biggrin::biggrin:

Bugware

OK, you got me. Its been about 4 months! I started at the end of Jan' and have made 22 pens to date.

Still pretty happy with the results.

Regards

Neil.

Last edited:

Russianwolf

you are definitely off to a great start. The only thing I see that MAY need work is the fit on those non-posting ends, they look a touch proud of the hardware.

bitshird

A couple of months heh?? Not too many folks have the intestinal fortitude to do a Piano pen or a closed end fountain in their first few months of turning. You sir are either a VERY talented turner or a BRASH teller of prevarications.
Either way them is some fine lookin pens,

chriselle

First of all, Great pens!..Second, very good pictures. Third, I'm only somewhat surprised at the excellent quality you are achieving after only 2~4 months.

Penturning ain't what it was when I (or, many of us) first started. There's no denying that getting to this level in a matter of months requires talent but it's also a testament to the vast and ever evolving resources readily available on the IAP and other such sites.

Reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy joke about his kid getting new computer for her birthday...when all he got was ball on a rubber band and a paddle...

And yes!! My first 20 pens were out and out... "stinkers"!!

Bugware

Great feedback

Thanks for the great feedback. Feeling really chuffed, it was worth the hours of my wife nagging me every time I go to see the other woman (lathe).

I need some help with a couple of things. Let me know if I am in the wrong forum for this and I will post it somewhere else...

1. To drill the blank I am using a small drill press and a small vice. Sometimes the blank splits during drilling. The bottom half of the piano pen split completely in half. Would a proper pen vice cure this?

2. The barrel trimmer is not very good for harder materials like Buffallo Horn. Is there better way to level the end?

Neil.

ldb2000

Drilling on the lathe will cure both those problems . All you need is a Mt2 drill chuck for the tail stock and either a 4 jaw chuck or a collet chuck for the headstock .
It's best to round your blanks between centers before you drill them , it makes it much easier to center the round blank in the chuck and for the collet chuck it will need to fit the biggest size collet you have (3/4" for the er32 collets) .
Once they are drilled and tubed put them back in the chuck and use a skew to clean up the ends of the blank , perfect every time .

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Fantastic work, Neil! Absolutely nothing in common with my "first 22" pens. Thats a very good thing.

In the photo of the 6 together, what material is the 3rd from left made from?

Bugware

Fantastic work, Neil! Absolutely nothing in common with my "first 22" pens. Thats a very good thing.

In the photo of the 6 together, what material is the 3rd from left made from?

It was made from Deer Antler. Taken straight through the centre of a large section, and so it left a rought open grained surface. Not what i expected at all. I thought it would give a shiney finish. I intend to make a pencil to match but no idea whether the colours will come out the same. There is a lot of green which again was not expected. I will use up the rest of the antler too see what I get.

Neil.

Top Bottom