Feedback please on repair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

I have only turned a few pens, so I still have a need to repair mistakes. This was to be a Cherry Burl Polaris, but after a catch and busted blank I used colored epoxy putty to finish it up. My wife likes it, but I am not sure about it.
Robin

20041219122040_cherry-polymer%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmadis

The colors seem to go together very well. I call it a good save and a succesful outcome. Must have been a lot of work repairing such a large area.

PenWorks

Hi Robin, You don't allways NEED to repair mistakes. It's fun and good practice and gives you a chance to experiment with different techniques for saves. The one you did above is a testiment to good saves.

But if your intent on making pens to sell, sometimes it is best to let it go. This way your only out the cost of the blank and you just start over, Instead of investing the cost of the rest of the kit for a pen that might hang around for awhile.

But since you are just starting out, you are probablly still in the giving mode, where you give your pens away because you feel darn good about it. Or people like your wife & friends expect your in business just to give pens away. If she likes it, wrap it up and that's another Christmas gift out of the way!

But it does look like a good save. Anthony

Daniel

On my monitor the patch looks real purple. hope it is not just my monitor cause i like it. If it had been me I would have gone ahead and coated the entire barrel with it. would have defenitly been one of a kind.
penturning has alot to do with how well you deal with what is happening in the moment. you start out with an idea in your head of what you want something to look like. but the actual turning and finishing is an experience of seeing how close to that you will actually get. you are suffering from the pre turned vision syndrome. it isn't what you started out picturing so you can't decide if it is any good.
as on turner had in there signature. that is not a mistake it is research and development.

Fred in NC

Looks like a very good save, Robin. Good job!

However, I agree with Anthony, most of the time it is best to let go and start another blank. I don't even try to save the tubes at that time, I have extra tubes on hand. It is more economical in the long run.

Being in the insurance business, Anthony, I think you understand what 'self insured' means. When pricing pens I take into consideration that I will blow a blank once in a while. That is part of the cost of making pens. An extra dollar per blank covers shipping, insurance, and keeping them in inventory.

I don't always throw the damaged blanks away. I have a little box with bad blank PAIRS (if there is anything left of the bad one) that I might find a use for later. I can always use them for experimenting, or repair when I have the time. Some become one time use, or "sacrificial" bushings for some projects, or fillers when I am turning a single blank.

Daniel, I must be heavily involved in R&D myself, since I never make missteaks. [8D]

jkirkb94

I agree with Fred that in most instances for major blowouts it's best to just forget it. Sometimes no. It's a judgement and experience call. And Fred is right... he doesn't make mistakes...just in spelling[:D] Kirk[8D]

wpenm

Nice save. I was always told that "A true craftsman is not one who never makes a mistake, but one who can fix them after they are made."
Good job.
Garry

M

Mudder

It's only a mistake if you think it is. I always call them "on-the-fly design modifications"

wayneis

Anthony and Fred I have to disagre with you. Look at our albums, there are quite a few pens that have a mixture of woods that look very nice. Some of those pens were because of a blow-up. Everyone that crafts pens builds up a nice assortment of cut-offs. Just part off the bad part and after picking a cutoff that contrasts with the blank, just drill, glue it to the tube and square it and you are back in business. You may even want to part off a little on the other blank so that they match. I've had a few happen like this and if done right they look as good and sell as good as if you had planned it from the start.

An experenced woodworker will always say that, thats the way they planned it.

Wayne

Fred in NC

Wayne, I am not sure what you are disagreeing with. I just don't stop and fix in the middle of a production run. I can get more creative when I have time to spare.

wayneis

Fred when I first read your post sounded to me was that when you have a blow-up you start over and that most of the time you don't even try to save the tube. I just went back and reread and I guess that I missed the last part of the post. Sorry in that case I only disagree with Anthony.

Wayne

Robin

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really don't make pens to sale so working on one blank for a little longer is no big deal to me. I did not intend to make this thread turn into a "should I fix it thread", but instead I was just wondering about the outcome of this particular pen. And yes Daniel it is purple with pink and blue swirls in it.
Robin

PenWorks

See what happens Robin when you ask one simple question around here. [:D] You get 20 good answers and 4 other conversations [:D] Glad you said it was purple & pink, I thought I thought the screen on my lap top was going [:p] Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom