A Feather Seg combo and more

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

Every year I spend the first couple of months making donation pens for some local fund raisers. I thought I would share a few of my favorite ones...

The first is a segmented Chechen and Ash pen with brass inlay and a feather arrangement. I cut spectra ply to fit the inlay cuts for a little color.

The second is a camo cardistry blank with a custom logo decal under silmar.

The third is Bethlehem Olivewood on a black ti jr II.

The fourth is a faux copperhead blank I cast on another black ti jr.

The fifth is an Opal FX custom blank on a rhodium jr. These are very hard to photograph and show the color. I don't like the pose but the color shows a little better in this one.

The sixth one is an alumilite maple cast on an Atrax.

the last one is a blue Jack Cardistry on a rhodium jr.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• ITA feather seg.jpg
    ITA feather seg.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 426
  • ITA Camo logo.jpg
    ITA Camo logo.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 365
  • BOW.jpg
    BOW.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Copperhead.jpg
    Copperhead.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Opal FX.jpg
    Opal FX.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 288
  • Blue Jack.jpg
    Blue Jack.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Love the pens! The first one is awesome!! Faux copperhead looks real and the opal fx is beautiful.

I'm never fast enough to get the black opal blanks on EB. I'll have to order direct.

jttheclockman

John, that first pen is one of your best. It has alot of different techniques in it and it is not over done. Love to see that on the front page here. You need to expand this idea and I bet if you offer those blanks you would not be able to keep up. Top shelf.

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments. It means a lot to me getting compliments from you guys here. The first pen is my fav also. Every year I try to send something different to that organization because they have some members who look forward to the bidding wars and pay some very generous prices. I want to give them something rare and worthy of their bids.

I should have also mentioned in the first post that I made the first pen after seeing Mark James demo his technique at a Chicagoland Chapter meeting. Mark your work is very inspiring, only I had to use spectra ply because I don't have a thickness sander yet. Thanks for the Education and Inspiration!

Last edited:

JohnU

Thanks, I try to mix it up a bit with the groups and give them a little bit of this and that. It also keeps it more fun on my end.

I hope someday to cast blanks half as gorgeous as your creations

I got my start by watching many very talented casters here. Pr Princess casts were one of the first that caught my eye and inspired me to jump in. One good thing about casting, once you get the basics down, its the same every time, just maybe pausing here or there to let the resin thicken. The IAP has been an inspiration in every pen I've made.

JohnU

yes I cast the opal blanks. I have several different colors of them that I offer at Exoticblanks. They are very hard to photograph and don't usually show that much character in a picture but I chose that pose out of a dozen Picts because it showed more than usual. It's called night opal and is just a little bit lighter in color than the black opal. Sometimes in the process they are so close in color they are hard to tell apart. The colors appear and reflect as you move them in the light, which makes them so hard to photograph. Thanks!

Top Bottom