Faux Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This was my entry in the Slimline Contest. I wanted to see if I could make a slimline that looked like a Sierra style. I tried to make it look as much like a LeRoi Elegant pen as possible.

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot with this project. This was my first time to make my own tip and to make a blank with multiple glue-ups. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out, but there were a lot of really awesome entries in this contest.

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to Derek for hosting this great contest. I'm already looking forward to the Russ Fairfield contest in Feb & I have a design in mind for that pen - now to see if I can pull it off.

Edgar

Attachments

• Slim1.jpg
    Slim1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Slim2.jpg
    Slim2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Slim3.jpg
    Slim3.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

..looks good and I am glad you entered into the Extravaganza! Be well......Jan

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for all the kind comments folks. I really enjoy these contests even if my skill level is lacking - they give me a chance to try some new techniques & challenge myself in ways that I might not otherwise attempt.

The bottom line is that I had fun, learned some new things and wound up with a rather unique pen that I really like. I would have preferred a better match between the bands & tip, but I used part of a 1/2" x 5 corian blank for the tip & part of a 2x2 corian sample block for the bands and these were the closest matching pieces that I had.

Edgar

Mr Edgar, that is a beautiful pen and if its ok, I would like to try it myself. On another note, someone mentioned they came out second to last in a competition, as far as Im concerned, everyone won because they had it in them to not only compete but be open to C&C. Its me that lost because I sat back and didn't compete, but Im surely learning a lot. Again, Congrats to all !!!

Dale Lynch

Great idea for a slimline Edgar.I bet if you could have worked up a wooden clip for it the voting woud have been heavily in your favor.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great idea for a slimline Edgar.I bet if you could have worked up a wooden clip for it the voting woud have been heavily in your favor.

Well, maybe - I'm still not sure that would have put it in the same class as the winners, but I did think about giving that a try. Maybe next time :)

Top Bottom