Faux Dragon Skin Pens; mythical silk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some dear friends in our vibrant Chinese community have followed along my hand dyed silk pens (eg: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/3-more-opalescent-silkies-140774/);) and requested dragon skin pens. I expressed concern about harming mythical beasts, but they reassured me.
Steps:
Hand dye and steam set Chinese 8mm Hobotai silk to add texture as an underpainting (see my earlier posts)
Airbrush a scale pattern on the dyed silk with Jacquard iridescent airbrush fabric paint, then heat set the paint with heat press or iron (medium setting)
Coat silk with a thin layer of Mod Podge Gloss glue, using a foam brush, dry x 24 hrs.
Glue silk onto brass tubes with the same Mod Podge, dry x 24 hrs, then trim
Cast tube-in in PR
Turn, finish, assemble as usual:
attachment.php

End User License Agreement (EULA): Have fun, but keep an extinguisher handy just in case they start breathing fire.

Happy Wednesday - Bob

Attachments

• FauxDragonSkinPens,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    FauxDragonSkinPens,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I very much like these new style of pens. The "straight" look of the pen bodies is more suitable to the eye. Another artistic project that is well done and above the ordinary.

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks for kind words, Avi - the creative adventure continues - more tricks ahead - stay tuned.

Gratefully, Bob

OZturner

Incredible, Outstanding Bob.
Glorious work Producing those Beautiful Dragon Skins.
It is a Close Tie, But the Fountain Pen, has my Vote, love the detail and Colour Combination.
Also in respect of the Chinese Traditions, I love the inclusion of the pieces of "Gold Flake". Inspiring.
Wonderful Work, and with your "Tempter" I am sitting on the edge of my chair, Waiting.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom