Fatter than I realized, Cigar Pen-Lollipop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RobS

RobS

This is my 17th pen, other than my avatar it is my 2nd picture I have posted. I started turning with only one side at a time to reduce deflection. However, it has lead to me not really paying attention to size. When I was done and assembled it, I realized I over did it on the size. I will be disassembling and turning it down further.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Just my opinion, leave it alone! If it is your aim to sell or give away, someone will love it.

Personally I find it intriguing! I love the blank, and the size is a personal thing. Someone out there will like it... Put your efforts in to new pens!

thumbs up!!

mecompco

Rob, I'm afraid I'm with you--I just don't care for "pregnant" pens, and on a Cigar, that must be about 9 months along! When I turn, for some reason, I end up with more material in the middle of the blank so I have to pay particular attention to thin them down (I also tend to get the left end larger than the right, so I always put the bigger bushing to the right to take advantage of this tendency.

Once you get that down to size, I think it will look awesome--I love the blank.

Regards,
Michael

RobS

You are very kind.

This was a commissioned piece and the request was for a medium tapper, this is more of an extra large robusto size cigar.

lhowell

Great start but you are correct that it needs to be shaved down a bit! Please post pictures of the finished product! Great idea on turning one side at a time as I have noticed even with my mandrel saver the furthest end closest to the mandrel saver has a tendency to have a bit of an eccentric quality to it which causes me to break down and buy another mandrel shaft... Just switched to a higher quality mandrel. Should arrive today so fingers crossed that helps a little!

mecompco

Great start but you are correct that it needs to be shaved down a bit! Please post pictures of the finished product! Great idea on turning one side at a time as I have noticed even with my mandrel saver the furthest end closest to the mandrel saver has a tendency to have a bit of an eccentric quality to it which causes me to break down and buy another mandrel shaft... Just switched to a higher quality mandrel. Should arrive today so fingers crossed that helps a little!

Just a suggestion, but if you're going to turn one blank at a time, why not dispense with the mandrel and TBC? Then you have no mandrel flex or non-centric issues to worry about.

Regards,
Michael

RobS

Just a suggestion, but if you're going to turn one blank at a time, why not dispense with the mandrel and TBC? Then you have no mandrel flex or non-centric issues to worry about.

Regards,
Michael

That is the plan, to switch over to TBC. If it wasn't for shipping I'd drop an order a day on small items. I plan on turning it down this weekend and will post pictures. It will still have a bubble shape but much smaller.

mecompco

Now THAT is a good looking Cigar! I know one has to do what the client wants--I made a circuit board Elegant Sierra that I though was horrible, but it's what the client ordered--"as large as possible" for her father that has apparently has monstrously large hands. I have mixed emotions about doing things like that, but I suppose in the end if the end user is happy that's what counts.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom