Father's Day Present

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kurt Aebi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Aebi

I was comissioned by a fellow employee to make a pen & pencil set for him to give his father for Father's day. I made these from Ambrosia Maple I got from Jim Ketron a while back. I felt the wood was spectacular enough for such a special occasion! I am making a box out of Spalted Maple to cpmplete the gift. It is presently being finished, pictures will be posted upon completion!

2005615175918_Ambrosia_Maple_BWE-02_SM.jpg

2005615175936_Ambrosia_Maple_BWE-04_SM.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Nice set. I have a couple of ambrosia pens but my board doesn't have a tremendous amount of coloration and I was always disappointed when all I had left was a skinny pale blank with no grain. I may have to try one again.

Kurt Aebi

Justin, it is not rude at all. He is a real good friend of mine and since I do not have to purchase any of the wood that I used, I gave the set to him for $65.00. I generally get $85.00 for one of these boxed sets ($30-Pen, $30-Pencil and $25-Box).

The box isn't as tough as you may think. Just plane some material to 5/8" thick, cut it to length (6-1/2") and rip to width (2-1/2") and using a router table and round-nose bit (9/16" dia) and a couple of stop blocks to mill the slots (takes a few passes, raising the router bit a little at a time) The slots are the same distance in from the side, so just turn the box to do the second slot. After teh slots ate done, just replace the round nose bit with a roundover but (I use a 3/8", but a 1/2" or whatever you have will work) and make passes on every side except where the slots are. Sandiing is what generally takes the most time. To do the slots, I use a pencil with one of those slip on replacement erasers to wrap the sandpaper around to get into the slots. Then a few coats of gloss w/b Poly and you are all done. (I sand the Poly with 400 wet/dry paper between coats and then buff with the 3-wheel system on the outside). I have more fun making the boxes than the pens, I think!

By the way, His father really, really liked it.

BigRob777

Kurt,
Thanks for explaining how the box was made. I was sitting here trying to figure out how you got the slots exactly the same length. The stop, I figured on, but I guess you used two stop blocks, or rather a start and a stop block. Is that right? Also, do you use a higher powered router? I use a 2.25 HP Porter Cable and wondered if I still need to make several passes. I have some ambrosia curly maple, that I want to use for cases for curly maple pens, when I make them.
The seller (on ebay) said that they were "Natural". I have yet to tell him that they were ambrosia. Funny how each "mineral streak" had a worm hole in it.[;)] I have never bought AM before. Is it the same price as Curly Maple? I guess the curly ambrosia would cost more anyway. I haven't created anything (but pen blanks) in 2 months. I'm going nuts.[:p][:p][:p]
By the way, I really like the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom