Fat capped wunder :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

So I did this one the other day with a black section - made a section from the same materials last night, and a cap tonight. Maybe 3 1/2 -4 hours in it all together. Cap is a bit fat but I'm still learning...

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

The cap does appear to be a touch oversized...but that's not usually the part that gets held a lot anyway....so if the other part feels right in the hand.....you win!

Nice threading!

Scott

watch_art

Thanks! Something I just noticed when looking at the pics - the cap is a bit out of round as well as being a bit thick. Oh well...

BSea

Nice looking pen. It looks like you made the section from a different blank, and used 1 blank to try & match the cap to the barrel. Looks like a pretty good match

watch_art

Actually it's all from the same stuff. The section just didn't have any red in it. Didn't turn out as nice as I was hoping.

BSea

Actually it's all from the same stuff. The section just didn't have any red in it. Didn't turn out as nice as I was hoping.
I meant the same blank material, but a different blank. I don't know of any other way to do that and get the same colors since a standard blank isn't long enough to do a closed ended pen.

EDIT: I guess I should have read what you posted instead of just looking at the pictures.:bulgy-eyes: That's what you said you did in the beginning.

I'm going to play with making a cap with a clip tonight. I'm just using some scraps though till I know what I'm doing.

BTW, what threads are you using on your cap & barrel?

Last edited:

BSea

That's actually just a little bigger than the 12mm which is so common. I've been thinking of using a 10mm X .75 to make a smaller diameter roller ball. Then I could make the shoulder a bit thicker, and the top could be thicker, but still line up with the barrel without looking to big. That would give a thicker cap. And from my brief experience is a good thing.

watch_art

Yeah - dropped pieces tend to break when they're thin. Even one of my thicker caps couldn't survive a four foot drop. :)

How well does PR fare in an accident? What's the most durable material to build a pen from other then metals?

ericd

Nice job on the pen, but did you have to use the income tax circular as the backdrop for the photo? Your pen is far too nice to be photographed against that.

watch_art

Nice job on the pen, but did you have to use the income tax circular as the backdrop for the photo? Your pen is far too nice to be photographed against that.

It's something about property tax for the county. It was on my desk. :biggrin:
The white paper does help bring the colors out w/o using a tent, though.

watch_art

Yeah - dropped pieces tend to break when they're thin. Even one of my thicker caps couldn't survive a four foot drop. :)

How well does PR fare in an accident? What's the most durable material to build a pen from other then metals?

Alumilite should work pretty well. Plus, I'm guessing ebonite should too.

Here's a short video comparing PR to alumilite.

Thanks!
Wow... that stuff is TOUGH.

Top Bottom