Fat Albert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

PSI calls this the Guardian, a take-off on Michael's Fat Boy. The click mechanism feels like it might hold up, but time will tell. This kit has a lot more parts than I've ever seen in any kit and this is one of a very few times in quite a long time I actually had to follow the directions for assembly. The pen uses Parker style refills which is good, but there is a significant design flaw. To change the refill, you unscrew the tip and when you do, the metal piece with the gripper thingys falls right off. I'm not going to sell something that falls apart when a customer tries to replace the refill. I think there's a relatively simple fix for this, and will try it on the next one. The pen doesn't feel too bad just holding it, but I haven't tried writing with it yet. The parts in the kit all seem nicely finished and go together just like they should. The weak point in the whole thing is the click mechanism which is plastic, hopefully a durable plastic like Delrin.

The wood is obviously Snakewood and the finish is CA.

200811651119_FatAlbert.jpg

Comments are welcome and thanks to those who take the time to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Good job on the pen. The thing that slays me is you can get a cheap click plastic pen and use it till the inks runs out and click it like 10,000 times... Even those cheap Government pens, you can refill them and they last forever...

So, why are click kit pens branded with the cheapest possible clicker?

Damn, I think I answered my own question...[:I]

PenWorks

Snakewood looks good Gerry [:)] This pen kit should go down as the WORST designed pen. [xx(] and I'm not talking about the looks, but the 20 parts that go into it [:0]

les-smith

Hey Gerry,

Nice pen. I've had my eye on that kit. I think it might sell well here in my area.

What is your opinion on the quality of the gripper thingys? Are they foam or hard rubber and are they molded well?

gerryr

The grippers are neither foam nor a hard rubber. They feel pretty much the same as the rubber parts on the soft grip kits, only thicker. A friend of mine has questioned how long they will last and I don't think PSI sells replacements, so that's another concern.

I'm going to try to break this one over the next few days to see how durable the clicker is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom