Fantastic Sappy Ironwood Burl On Black Titanium Jr. Retro!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

This is a special blank I had, sappy ironwood burl, this wood has so much chatoyance, I think I captured part of it on the pictures down there. :)

So this is 27 coats of medium, this one has a few small voids which got filled with all the coats. :)

Thanks for looking and click on the thumbnails for a larger version! ;)

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Charles, You should be ashamed, for showing a pen like that. The wood and and finish make me drool on my keyboard.
As usual you show us some of the most fantastic timbers and your finishes are unbelievable, I can't imagine how long it takes to apply and sand 27 coats of Medium CA. But obviously it seems to be time well spent. and the photos ain't too shabby either. Another Stunning pen.

CharlesH

Thanks for your comment, it was made with your tool with it's lovely snakewood handle. :p

It takes more or less 1 hour! Yes, well invested time. I had some serious issues with finishing some stabilized orange amboyna, if you are interested have a look at this post.

Charles

Charles, You should be ashamed, for showing a pen like that. The wood and and finish make me drool on my keyboard.
As usual you show us some of the most fantastic timbers and your finishes are unbelievable, I can't imagine how long it takes to apply and sand 27 coats of Medium CA. But obviously it seems to be time well spent. and the photos ain't too shabby either. Another Stunning pen.

Last edited:

bitshird

Charles, I can just barely get an 8 or 10 coat of Thin CA in an hour, you must be a MAD MAN at the lathe, but My God your work is amazing.

SDB777

One of my favorite timbers, just wish it didn't cost an arm-n-a-leg for the nicer pieces.....that's some great finish you have going on there!

BTW, the headphones you have in the avatar....what are they?

Scott (audiophiles want to know) B

MarkD

Just when I think I nailed a nice CA finish you have to show a pen like this and I realize I have such a long way to go!
That's one great looking pen. Thanks for showing it, and raising the bar!

barrysj

Charles,

I gotta ask, why 27 coats of medium CA? I use 9 coats of medium CA and am very happy with the finish. It seems like you would build up so much CA that the barrel would be too thick for the parts (unless you turn down below the bushings a bit). I could see maybe a debate between 9 or maybe 12 coats, but 3 times that of medium is the most I've ever heard of someone doing...what's the benefits?

I love your pens, please know this is true curiosity and not a jab....I'd like to get better if I'm missing something.

Thanks

-Dude

CharlesH

Scott,

You are right regarding the price. On the other hand it is easier to justify your asked price when the wood is totally awesome. ;-)

Those are recabled with copper/silver custom made zebrano headphones that I bought from www.headphile.com

This is what inspired me to get into woodturning. Basically, I was amazed at the beauty of the woods and after taking the plunge (they are quite expensive!) I decided to start working with woods something like 2 years ago.

I wanted a small project that allowed me to show the beauty of the wood.

C

SDB777 said:
One of my favorite timbers, just wish it didn't cost an arm-n-a-leg for the nicer pieces.....that's some great finish you have going on there!

BTW, the headphones you have in the avatar....what are they?

Scott (audiophiles want to know) B

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

CharlesH

I do a lot of sanding and most of the wood I work with have voids. My finish is not "thick" as you would think.

I do not fill voids with sanding dust as I prefer to see the depth of voids. To me that extra coats makes a difference with wear. I made 300 pens or so and my first ones have fewer coats and the finish overtime does not stay as even. It's like the finish shrinks.
But hey, it's just my opinion! ;-)

C

barrysj said:
Charles,

I gotta ask, why 27 coats of medium CA? I use 9 coats of medium CA and am very happy with the finish. It seems like you would build up so much CA that the barrel would be too thick for the parts (unless you turn down below the bushings a bit). I could see maybe a debate between 9 or maybe 12 coats, but 3 times that of medium is the most I've ever heard of someone doing...what's the benefits?

I love your pens, please know this is true curiosity and not a jab....I'd like to get better if I'm missing something.

Thanks

-Dude

CharlesH

Thanks! ;-)

C

MarkD said:
Just when I think I nailed a nice CA finish you have to show a pen like this and I realize I have such a long way to go!
That's one great looking pen. Thanks for showing it, and raising the bar!

Top Bottom