Family crest and colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

I was contacted about a custom pen. The customer picked out the Emperor
rollerball. Then, the fun part. The cap had to be blue with his family crest.
The barrel needed to be blue and purple diamond shapes. I proposed the barrel to be segmented. I contacted Ken Nelsen at http://www.kallenshaanwoods. Ken used preturned
blanks of blue and purple dyed and stabilized popular and cut out the small
diamonds. I turned and finished the cap and Ken engraved the crest on the blue cap. I assembled (glued together) the diamonds in alternating rings of blue and purple and finished turning the cap. I think it turned out rather nice.
Thanks Ken!! Comments welcome: good, bad, or indifferent. Thanks for looking and enjoy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 414
  • cap.JPG
    cap.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 410
  • cap details.JPG
    cap details.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

I was literally just now looking at that over at Yahoo! That is really nice. Not sure which I like more, the barrel or the cap. So I guess the whole pen!

Beautiful, Don.

Dale

jttheclockman

WOW. What else can you say. The both of you get an A+++++++ Job well done. Did the customer see this yet and if so what were their reactions??? Goes to show you anything is possible. I think that would make a great kit by itself without the crest if Ken doesn't already offfer it. There is some cash in that pen but I guess if you are someone to have a family crest then surely they are some one who can afford this. Thanks for showing.

S

spiritwoodturner

I didn't mention it in my post, but great job KEN too! A nice collaboration all the way around!

Dale

its_virgil

Thanks for those who commented and for the compliments. I've not done much segmenting but admire those who do some of the amazing segmenting I see. The customer has seen pictures of the pen in several stages of completion from the original pile diamond pieces, the glued up blank covered with CA and rubber bands, the turned barrels prior to assembly and finally the finished pen. She is quite pleased. She owns 3 more of my pens and I suspect she will be back. I too think this design could be the genesis of another kit from Ken. I've been thinking of what colors I could use and have him do another. I've also been thinking of other shapes to use. Maybe we'll see some new kits from this collaboration.:wink: If you're thinking of something similar I can recommend Ken for the laser work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Tanner

That's an awesome looking pen! You put together a fantastic that will be treasured for years. As always Ken did an outstading job as well.

broitblat

Beautiful design and great looking result.

I'm not sure I have good enough vision or steady enough hands to assemble the lower barrel :)

-Barry

its_virgil

Thanks. It was somewhat similar to Ken's puzzle pen. The first end rows of half diamonds were not cut apart. After gluing on the starter row, the others just fit right in...one row(ring) at a time secured with rubber bands. When all rings of diamonds were secured with the other end's starter course, the whole thing was flooded with thin CA. The rubber bands were turned off and the diamond barrel was completed. I will definitely do another when I decide on colors.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Beautiful design and great looking result.

I'm not sure I have good enough vision or steady enough hands to assemble the lower barrel :)

-Barry

Darley

Don very nice work and colaboration with Ken this is a great pen as for something else for you and Ken why not an Arlequin pen, Diamon made with white, blue, red, yellow and green will look great IMHO,

Again nice work.

its_virgil

Thanks again for all who looked and commented. I do plan on making another or two but without the crest. Thanks for suggestions on colors. Now I must decide on the colors to use.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

VisExp

Beautiful job Don. Well done to you for the concept and to both you and Ken for bringing it to fruition. As George said, the detail of the engraving is impressive.

Top Bottom