Fallen Soldier

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gofer

Gofer

After Master Corporal Bryon Greff was killed in Afghanistan (story) on 29 October 2011 I felt the need to do something for his family. As a serving member I have been fortunate that this is only the second time a death of a deployed member has affected me personally. This time it affected my family as well, our kids are in the same class in school.

I put a lot of thought into various ideas and stuck with making a pen for his son and one for his widow. I wanted to end up with something that my be imitated but never duplicated so I called on a friend for help. After a few phone calls with Marla and a few emails with her and Jesse we worked on my rough ideas and came up with an exceptional product that I think anyone would be proud to own.

I choose to use single tube components to make for a large "canvas" with nothing to interupt the image we were portraying. For his son I chose a Chrome Artist Sketch Pencil as all kids love to draw and color. I gave the girls my various thoughts of what I wanted with only 2 things that had to be there and they excelled in creating a blank that left me speachless. For his widow I chose a Zen and left Marla with only one basic idea, she and Jesse came up with a true masterpiece.

I followed Marla's suggestion on using a nice wood box for them as they will probably be treasured more than used. I had my friend Gord who owns Langer Craft Works do the laser engraving on the boxes. He volunteered to do the woek last minute when he found out who the boxes were for.

The pencil and pen were given to them last night after the school Cristmas concert. Emotions ran high and many tears were shed, by everyone in the room (except the two 6 year olds who kept playing), the whole family was very appriciative of the gift and were grateful for the love and support they felt. I can say that it was a perfect way to finish a great evening.

Now to the pens, up first an Artist Sketch Pencil:

1_IMG_1125.JPG

1_IMG_1126.JPG

1_IMG_1128.JPG

1_IMG_1130.JPG

I was inspired with the idea for this pencil by a six year old boy who saluted the soldiers at his fathers funeral when he came out of the church and again at the cemetery.

And now a peaceful Zen:

1_IMG_1132.JPG

1_IMG_1133.JPG

1_IMG_1134.JPG

1_IMG_1136.JPG

1_IMG_1138.JPG

To me a fallen soldier is remembered every year on November 11th and symbolized by the red poppy. May all of our fallen rest in peace.

This project would not have been possible if I did not have the help of the incredible talents of Jesse and Marla helping me to make the pens. The boxes would not have been anything special without the engraving done by Gord. For these three people I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me in this project to support the family of a fallen Canadian Soldier.

Bruce
progress.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I agree it is a nice tribute to one who has made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom and their way if life.
I don't understand why down here in the nether world we don't see the red poppy's on veterans day as we did when I was a kid, we used to get them for a donation to the VFW clubs.
But I haven't seen any here or near where I've lived since I was 14 or 15, I think maybe Viet Nam had something to do with it, many people here are just now coming to grips with that mess.
I'm so glad the returning personnel are treated with respect and honored for their service! Here and in Canada and in the UK.

wiset1

Really fantastic pen with even more meaning behind it. As a Soldier myself I've been blessed to have seen my friends arrive home to their loved ones and I hope I never have to deal with the loss. I feel for you and wish you all the best!

robutacion

Great message Bruce...!

I have no doubt that, the recipients of your gifts, got a lot more than 2 pens in wooden boxes, and this is a good example how a hand made pen can exceed the general concept that just a writing instrument, in this case, exceptionally mad ones.

Beyond the creating the gift itself and presenting it/them to others, this also show that you have a deep understanding and respect for the tribulations soldiers and their families are put through, particularly when the soldier's life is taken away forever...!

You've got a great heart mate, don't let anyone destroy that...!

Cheers
George

Gofer

Thanks for all the kind words, it still chokes me up a bit knowing there isn't much I can do to help, but the pens will hopefully let them know that he will not be forgotten and always be with them in spirit.

Marla, I am grateful that you accepted the challenge of making this happen. Without your help this would not be anywhere close to getting finished yet, let alone look this good. Jesse did an amazing job with the painting, and your casting was as expected ... perfect.

I have worked in the family support section for 3 years and it amazes me how much help some of these families need while the members are deployed. For everyone that supports our troops ... don't forget the people that support them the most and sacrifice the most for them ... the families.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Bruce

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Still going

I agree it is a nice tribute to one who has made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom and their way if life.
I don't understand why down here in the nether world we don't see the red poppy's on veterans day as we did when I was a kid, we used to get them for a donation to the VFW clubs.
But I haven't seen any here or near where I've lived since I was 14 or 15, I think maybe Viet Nam had something to do with it, many people here are just now coming to grips with that mess.
I'm so glad the returning personnel are treated with respect and honored for their service! Here and in Canada and in the UK.
Red Poppies are still distributed by the American Legion Auxiliary on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. The money raised is used for Disabled or otherwise needy veterans from any war or branch of service.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Bruce: I don't personally know you or any of those involved in making this happen. I just want to thank you for the expression of love and respect bestowed on this family during their time of giving, whether by you or any of those helping you with this endeavor. I hope it had some small way of helping relieve a portion of their grief.

Over the last decade of war, I have been unfortunate enough to have lost a few friends going all the way back to two good buddies in the towers when the cowardly bastards killed 3000 Americans - this is a nice tribute.

Top Bottom