Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddo

My art, not my pen...

20071752912_pen1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

Not bad ... not bad at all :)

No halo around the pen, the leaves look clear, too.

A couple subtle lighting things I notice. Feel free to dismiss my ideas, i'm hardly a pro :)

There's probably a technical description for this, but I don't know it. What I see is that the pen itself is lit one way and the leaves are lit another way. I almost want to say it's a different color balance or temperature of light. What happens is it makes the pen look "added" in a way that's tricky to get rid of. Playing with the hue/saturation of either layer might help that. I assume you're looking to make the pen appear as though it was shot all together with the leaves and simply be "floating" there.

It's not nearly as obvious to me as those 70's and 80's special effects where they'd overlay superman flying over a field but the lighting was all different, but I do notice it. I'm not sure an untrained eye would see it, but it would go a long way toward being more realistic.

Also, the shadow looks like it's being cast in a direction that doesn't quite jive with the lighting angle on the pen itself. The pen appears to have mostly straight-on lighting, but the shadow runs as though there's a light coming in from the side. This may be contributing to the above mentioned subtlty, too.

All in all, looks very nice! I hope you don't mind my critique :)

kiddo

Originally posted by beamer
<br />Not bad ... not bad at all :)

No halo around the pen, the leaves look clear, too.

A couple subtle lighting things I notice. Feel free to dismiss my ideas, i'm hardly a pro :)

There's probably a technical description for this, but I don't know it. What I see is that the pen itself is lit one way and the leaves are lit another way. I almost want to say it's a different color balance or temperature of light. What happens is it makes the pen look "added" in a way that's tricky to get rid of. Playing with the hue/saturation of either layer might help that. I assume you're looking to make the pen appear as though it was shot all together with the leaves and simply be "floating" there.

It's not nearly as obvious to me as those 70's and 80's special effects where they'd overlay superman flying over a field but the lighting was all different, but I do notice it. I'm not sure an untrained eye would see it, but it would go a long way toward being more realistic.

Also, the shadow looks like it's being cast in a direction that doesn't quite jive with the lighting angle on the pen itself. The pen appears to have mostly straight-on lighting, but the shadow runs as though there's a light coming in from the side. This may be contributing to the above mentioned subtlty, too.

All in all, looks very nice! I hope you don't mind my critique :)

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, it is a composite picture. The leaves were lifted off a photo shot outside on the ground (I think) and the pen was shot with artificial light on a rather complex background (leaning on Plexiglases I think). There were also some perspective issues with the way the pen was shot. It wasn't broadside, but canted and tilted backward a bit. The shadow of course is totally artificial.

I guess I could desaturate the leaves a bit to cool them down and fix the reflections on the pen. (or fix the shadow to match the reflections) And put some more brightness into the pen...

But hey... It's not too bad for ten or so min of work. :)

Now I learn I have to sweat the details before I post here ;)

Thanks for a really useful critique! Makes it worth posting.

Kiddo

beamer

Originally posted by kiddo
<br />
Now I learn I have to sweat the details before I post here ;)

hahaha - I'm glad you took my post in the spirit in which it was intended :)

I only know enough to be dangerous and sometimes even less than that :p

Tanner

Looks nice. Beamer did a good job in the critique. Did you use the Pen Tool in Adobe Photoshop to pull the pen from the other background? I have version six and want to start doing some of this. I have tried it and the pen looked cut out. Yours looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom