Fake wanna be ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

156075_126895597370514_100001502242963_167620_6606129_n.jpg

This one's some throwaway wood I found after someone destroyed a couch and I had to clean the mess up at work. I decided to hit it with black Sharpie brfore sanding, after sanding, and between coats of thin CA. Got the medium coats on okay, and you can still see wood grain in spots, which is okay. Wasn't the goal, but it worked out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

It would have been amazing had the grain not shown through in areas. There are spots where the sharpie just did not take as well as I wanted it to. I think it may have been too cold in the basement and the sharpies were protesting.

ctubbs

What color socks were you wearing? The sharpie thing works best with hot pink with yellow-green(I can't spell chartruce) polka dots. That is really a good try at whatever you were trying to do. It almost looks like ebony. How heavy is it? does it feel like Ebony? Enquireing minds and all that crap, you know.:biggrin::rolleyes::wink:
Charles

Drstrangefart

It's fairly heavy, but having never worked with actual ebony I couldn't tell you how close I got it. In the spots that didn't take as well, you can still see some brown coming through the ink. It didn't dawn on me I'd almost made a fake ebony until I was uploading the pic to my Facebook page.

David Keller

You might give India ink a try if you want something really black... Raise the grain first or the ink will do it for you. DAMHIKT!

ctubbs

When using India ink as a stain,WEAR GOOD RUBBER GLOVES OR YOUR HANDS WILL BE THE COLOR OF THE INK! DAMHIKT!
Charles

Top Bottom