Fairly stunning conception ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

... but mediocre execution.

This is Berea's Ultra Cigar pen. I love the aesthetics, but the I have serious issues with the kit quality.

We can talk about the issues later. For now, you can enjoy it from not-too-close-up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

The kit does look good as long as you don't look too closely. Most people won't, but that's not good enough.

I have no real issues with the design, except that it gets a little too clever with the silver-gold-silver, gold-silver-gold, etc... This one should have a gold nib, but that regal green goes better with a lot of silver and just a little gold, so I put the nib from the "gold" kit on it.

The plating is very thick, which normally would be a plus, but it's so shoddy it looks like it was dipped or something. Also, there were some tiny burrs on the centerband, and I didn't see them until after the pen was assembled. I only noticed because you can see light between it and the gold ring above it. That's a big no-no. I'm not sure what I could have done about it even if I had noticed in time. Trying to scrape the burrs off might had damaged the plating where you could see it.

Also, I love that clip, but the shoddy plating just ruins it.

I should make mention of any good things, and the twist mechanism seems to be a very good one.

Sim, good point. This kit does seem made more for acrylics than wood.

Kaspar

Originally posted by doddman70

Very nice!!! i really like the blank is it a home brew?:D

I really admire you guys who do that home brew stuff, but it's not for me. That was from CSUSA but I don't think they sell those anymore. I've seen them somewhere else, but I can;t think of where. Anyway, I find they're best with silver, and only a little gold, if at all.

Top Bottom