Failure...my best, not favorite teacher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

Ever have a pen that you thought you'd NEVER get off the lathe. This one is my most recent problem child. The body is an un-stabilized "Tiger Wood". Bought it on Ebay. First time I tried it. Didn't know that it would rip out, tear, blow-out, and catastrophically fail in sooo many ways, in it's soft state. The vendor....didn't mention that. One end blew out. I figured a way to fix and replace that. Then the other end spit chunks. After a day or two to think and cool off, I added Turq bands, then other materials to fill in. I Learned a lot about my Parting Tool, Patience, the value of keeping end cuts, and finally the path ended with this pen. Truth is, it's a much better design then I started out with. Thank you Failure. You are my best teacher. Thanks To you all for looking, and I would be proud to have you add your own stories in this thread.

Attachments

• SOUTHWEST MESA - TIGER FALLS.jpg
    SOUTHWEST MESA - TIGER FALLS.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 306
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am not sure if you had intended the original concept with this kit, but after all the "design opportunities" the final blank looks perfectly matched with the kit!

The turquoise segments are an excellent element.

FWIW: I love your work!

Sappheiros

I definitely agree with you there; failure is certainly the best teacher. And oh what I have been taught!

After the arduous process, the end result is quite gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sataro

Very nice save... Pen looks great. I've had a couple of pens that I didn't think I would ever get finished...and they sure didn't come out as nice as that one!

keithncsu

Failure?! My foot!! Haha! Failures for me usually end up in multiple pieces on opposite sides of the garage. Not as a pen that looks like a masterpiece! I'm typically not a huge fan of the Southwest/cowboy turquoise look but this pen is awesome!

Top Bottom