Eyedropper with Esterbrook nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I can't seem to settle on a cap shape for this one. I like the torpedo shaped body, but don't care for a torpedo shaped cap and a flat top cap just doesn't look quite right either.

Anyway, this is London Fog acrylic with an Esterbrook 2668 nib. Because the nib doesn't have a nipple for a cartridge or converter, I'm going with a simple eye dropper filler. The material is clear enough that just a little light behind it lets you see right through to check ink levels.

Attachments

• IMG_7145.jpg
    IMG_7145.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7142.jpg
    IMG_7142.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7134.jpg
    IMG_7134.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I can't seem to settle on a cap shape for this one. I like the torpedo shaped body, but don't care for a torpedo shaped cap and a flat top cap just doesn't look quite right either.

Anyway, this is London Fog acrylic with an Esterbrook 2668 nib. Because the nib doesn't have a nipple for a cartridge or converter, I'm going with a simple eye dropper filler. The material is clear enough that just a little light behind it lets you see right through to check ink levels.

Carl I love it. How about a straight cap with a finial the same shape as the torpedo end. I think that would tie is together.
Lin.

Carl Fisher

Thanks Lin.

I think what I'm struggling with is the diameter of the cap in relation to the body. I did try a torpedo cap that was the same diameter as the body but didn't like that look. I guess maybe I'll turn one a larger diameter and then fine tune it a bit at a time to see if I can get the proportions right.

Carl Fisher

Looks like something to the proportions of the Sheaffer Balance would be about right. The body is pretty similar in design.

jyreene

Carl, here's my thoughts:

Option 1. Pay no mind to the "blank color" I would say either the same material or black ebonite/alumilite. If you use the same material I'd go with a black wire clip. If it's black material then silver/steel wire clip. I went with more of a rounded cap on this one.

Option 2. Using the same material. Clip and band are steel/silver to match the nib. I basically copied the exact body lines. I like this one more than option 1.

Option 3. Same material. No band silver/steel clip. Very similar to option 2 but the cap is rounded more to distinguish it from the body. I like this one the most because of the cleaner lines I think you can create.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Attachments

• Cap 1.jpg
    Cap 1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
  • cap 2.jpg
    cap 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 101
  • cap 3.jpg
    cap 3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 105

Carl Fisher

I think we might have a winner with #2. I like the division of the ring between the two halves.

I've been sitting on the body of this one for so long that I just had a mental block on how to finish it up. I finally was kicked in the rear to do the section yesterday during lunch after talking about the Esterbrook nibs with Lin.

As always Carl your work is just beautiful. I think a gently squared top then the taper all the way to the lower barrel finial would look just great.

Top Bottom