Extruded Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marko50

Marko50

I made this one by "extruding" the red and blue Alumilite around the pen tube and then casting it in clear AL. I really had a a heck of a time with the "extruding" part. Challenging to say the least!

Attachments

• DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

Yup, it's messy

I can imagine the challenges you would face trying to extrude alumilite. I wouldn't want to be the guy that had to clean up the equipment.

Ed

It is a messy proposition Ed! You've got to work fast once it has set up enough to extrude. There is a lot of potential with the process though.:)

Ed McDonnell

I can imagine the challenges you would face trying to extrude alumilite. I wouldn't want to be the guy that had to clean up the equipment.

Ed

It is a messy proposition Ed! You've got to work fast once it has set up enough to extrude. There is a lot of potential with the process though.:)

I had been playing around with extruding polyester resin. I even made my own extruder fairly inexpensively out of delrin rod, but even with rigorous cleaning after each use (a real pain the backside) I could only get a couple uses out of it before it would require a major overhaul.

I didn't get results anywhere near as nice as yours.

Ed

Marko50

Drizzle with a swizzle

that's very cool. did you just drizzle it on there once it was a thickened solution and cast it in clear after?

Nic, yes indeed. If you do it too soon, the drizzle just oozes and looses its shape. Too late and its too stiff. I just used AL Clear for the clear cast.

OZturner

Another Great Technique Mark,
Looks Spectacular, and Risky.
I think I will leave it up to you, Not enough Days in the Hours.
Great Fit and Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom