Extremely spalted, wormy curly Sycamore

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DaveO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

In a stabilization experiment, a friend of mine soaked this blank in a plexi/acetone solution and then sent it to me to turn. It had worm holes in it almost as large as my shop. I filled them with a dark purple PR. The blank took a little CA stabilizing as I turned it down and some shavings/Ca worm hole fillin' just before I finished. But it held together and I think turned out a really nice pen.

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20251.jpg

A view of the other side

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20267.jpg

Thanks for lookin'
Dave:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveO

Yea, that was a moment of frivolity, I'm not sure if it adds, detracts, or does nothing. Prolly could have done without it.
Thanks!

Dave[:)]

BigRob777

Nice work Dave. Your bottom barrel looks longer than the clip end. Is that an optical illusion? Did you use a longer tube, to make up for the lack of a CB? I like it. I do my own CBs and this would be something nice to try.
Rob

DaveO

Rob, I did use a longer tube in the bottom barrel. Taking a bit of advice given by Eagle(bless his soul[:D]) I actually glued two standard SL tubes back to back in the blank and trimmed the ends off on the BS. I've made SLs without the CB before and felt that they were too stubby, so adding about ¼ - ½" extra length on the bottom helps that, and the transmition still sticks out enough to grab the top barrel well.
Dave[:)]

thewishman

Nice proportions and the lines add interest. That wood is beautiful! I was just thinking about how small I would have to write to put that wood description on one of those little white price tags.

Chris

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lovely wood, well made too. I think you should have put this one in the slimline comp. I think it could have been a little fatter as well. But still very nice[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom