Extended Jr. Statesman II in Lucite...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Here is a pen that I've been working on periodically for the past week. It is a Jr. Statesman II done in Tortoise and Black Lucite. The body of the pen is completely tubeless. It was also extended by 1/2" making the total length of the pen w/o the cap on 5 1/4", and the pen w/ cap roughly 5 1/2". It was completely inpired by something similarly done by Anthony Turchetta (penworks). Thanks Anthony:D. It is the first FP that I've actually made, and I AM PRETTY SURE THAT THIS ONE'S NOT FOR SALE! I just love it and can't wait to break it in w/ some of penworks' Private Reserve ink that I recently purchased! I might have to sart carrying this around instead of that dang lightsaber...[:I]

First pic w/ cap 2nd one unposted.

200582844543_Tortoise%20FP2.jpg

200582844623_Tortoise%20FP1.jpg

Thanks for checking it out...

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Very pretty pen!!! Can you tell me more about 'tortoise' - is this real tortoise, and where do you get it? The material work very well together!!! I love black resin caps anyway - I think it give many pens a really classy look :)

Also, is it an illusion of the photo or is there a little inward curve before the main body flows into the finial?

Extending the body is a good idea on this non-posting pen.

Seeing that pen gave me a new idea. But I don't want to hijack your thread. Anyway, nice pen!

Ben

Originally posted by Don in Tally
<br />Great looking pen!!
As a newbe here, may I as what is the reason for having a "tubless" pen.

Hi there. I chose to make this one "tubeless" on the body for a couple of reasons.

First, the material I chose (Tortoise colored Lucite from the Pipemakers Emporium) is VERY transparent, and rather than seeing my brass tube glued up on the inside of the pen(Generally pretty ugly), I thought it'd be better to simply drill the blank out smaller and fit the hardware to the blank instead of the tube. I actually ended up painting the inside of the blank anyhow so this really didn't matter.

The second reason that I chose a tubeless body was that I intended on extending the design from the beginning and by not using any tubes, I could in fact make the pen as long or as short as I wished.

These are only MY reasons for doing a "tubeless" design on this pen and shouldn't be confused with the REAL REASONS that one SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T GO TUBELESS. I can only speak for myself, but I try at all costs to move as far away from these kits as possible and do something that is "outside of the pen". It almost never works out for me, but when it does, you better buckle your seatbelt!!! I think that with continued persevereance we can all push this carzy little thing called the penturning envelope! If not, We can sure have a lot of fun trying.[8D]

2005828212756_smiley_abxr.gif

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by myself
<br />Can you tell me more about 'tortoise' - is this real tortoise, and where do you get it?
Oops - both the tortoise and the black are lucite! I misread

woodscavenger

Mik I think the reason to extend is that the pen body seems to feel a wee bit short in the hand. That has been my own experience. Ben correct me if I am off base.

Ben

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Mik I think the reason to extend is that the pen body seems to feel a wee bit short in the hand. That has been my own experience. Ben correct me if I am off base.

Mik,

This was correct. The pen as it is in kit form is just a little too short for me. I think that by extending it, the pen is slightly more comfy and has a little bit better balance. Plus, I needed to see if I could do it. I have furthur plans for this design, and now knowing how I can do it, The Sky's The Limit!!!

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom